• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Raptor Book Review: (the best book for Europe) (1 Viewer)

Markus Jais

hello

I just wrote another review on my blog. The review is in German because
it is a German book.

for anyone interested in European Raptors this is bY FAR the best book
currently available. It is not a field guide but a massive book about
the biology, status and conservation of each diurnal raptor of the western
palearctic.

here is the review:
http://markusjais.blogspot.com/2006/12/rezension-greifvgel-europas-nordafrikas.html

I will post more reviews about other books (mostly in english) in the next weeks.

Markus

Translation of book review

Dear Markus,
I've taken the liberty of translating your review into English. Please let me know if you would me to post it.

Best wishes,
Markus Jais said:
hello

I just wrote another review on my blog. The review is in German because
it is a German book.

for anyone interested in European Raptors this is bY FAR the best book
currently available. It is not a field guide but a massive book about
the biology, status and conservation of each diurnal raptor of the western
palearctic.

here is the review:
http://markusjais.blogspot.com/2006/12/rezension-greifvgel-europas-nordafrikas.html

I will post more reviews about other books (mostly in english) in the next weeks.

Markus

hi Rick

great. please post it. I wanted to translate it too, but was too busy.

I hope that an English edition of this book will be published, because I am sure
that many, many birdwatchers would love this book, but not everyone speaks German.

Markus

Greifvögel Europas, Nordafrikas und Vorderasiens [Birds of Prey of Europe, North Africa, and Western Asia]

Reviewed by Markus Jais

This new book by Theodor Mebs and Daniel Schmidt is by far the best and most comprehensive treatment of the raptors of the western Palearctic. I am aware of nothing comparable in the English language.

Both authors are among the leading experts in the field.

The book begins with a very interesting general introduction to the life of birds of prey, treating, for example, the birds’ sensory capacities, behavior, and so on.

The bulk of the book is made up of very detailed species accounts. There are in-depth descriptions of biology, reproduction, diet, population, and conservation status for every species of raptor occurring in Europe, North Africa, and Asia west of the Urals. The population estimates are quite current.

Visually, the book is outstandingly well produced, with many first-rate photos and illustrations from the Kosmos field guide.

A comprehensive bibliography provides citations to further information sources.

This book leaves nothing to be desired. The authors’ achievement is considerable, and this book is a must for every birder interested in raptors.

Title: Greifvögel Europas, Nordafrikas und Vorderasiens. Biologie. Bestandsverhältnisse. Bestandsgefährdung [Birds of Prey of Europe, North Africa, and Western Asia: Biology, Populations, Population Threats]

Authors: Theodor Mebs, Daniel Schmidt

Publisher: Kosmos, 2006

ISBN-10: 3440095851

Markus Jais said:
hi Rick

great. please post it. I wanted to translate it too, but was too busy.

I hope that an English edition of this book will be published, because I am sure
that many, many birdwatchers would love this book, but not everyone speaks German.

Markus

hi Rick

thank you very much. Vielen Dank !

I hope that a similar book will be available for North America
in the near future. I just finished the new book by Noel and Helen Snyder (a review in my blog will follow soon) and I love it. Great book.
Still I would like an even more detailed description of the raptors
of the US.

Markus

Hi,

I am a bit confused. There was German raptor book recently with some color pictures copied from Collins Bird Guide and text being like updated old Gensbol raptor guide.

Is it the same?

jurek said:
Hi,

I am a bit confused. There was German raptor book recently with some color pictures copied from Collins Bird Guide and text being like updated old Gensbol raptor guide.

Is it the same?

there has been a new edition of the Gensbol guide in German I think about 2 years ago. As far as I know a new English edition is to be published by Collins.

The book I wrote the review about is MUCH bigger than the Gensbol guide and has much more detailed information.

Markus

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back