• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Photo quiz (1 Viewer)

steve_nova

Well this took some doing but hopefully it will be worth it!

I have sourced these links to various web sites (each link goes directly to the bird image) and the address gives no clue to the birds identity. All I will say is that the first five come from roughly the same continent or region ie Africa or Australia for example as are the next following two groups of five.
The last five though, are from anywhere.

Answers can be pm'd to me or posted from wed. 29 Jan at 18.00 GMT. Good luck!

Bird 1
Bird 2
Bird 3
Bird 4
Bird 5
Bird 6
Bird 7
Bird 8
Bird 9
Bird 10
Bird 11
Bird 12
Bird 13
Bird 14
Bird 15
Bird 16
Bird 17
Bird 18
Bird 19
Bird 20

.....second thoughts! I shall extend the time for answers for another few hours so lets say 21.00 GMT so that people can have their Tea first, watch Corrie or Relocation Relocation etc.

steve_nova said:
Answers can be pm'd to me or posted from wed. 29 Jan at 18.00 GMT. Good luck!

Hi Steve,can you clarify whether you mean today or tomorrow?
Ingenious quiz,looking forward to having a go.

Nice One Steve. I've written down my answers (guesses mostly),looking forward to seeing the correct ones.
No idea on no.13.
At least I know what the date is!!

Sorry Grousemore, after all that work and I fluff the date!!!

The answers will come today (Wednesday 28th January at 21.00 GMT)

steve_nova said:
The answers will come today (Wednesday 28th January at 21.00 GMT)
Sorry, Steve, but I'm not clear. You first said that we could post answers from 18.00 today, then you gave people longer by extending that to 21.00. Now you appear to be saying that you'll post the solutions at 21.00. Does that mean we ought to be posting now?

Jason

Don't worry Jason, no one is ever as confused as me! If you want to pm the answers you can, or just post them from 21.00 onwards. As usual I don't always think things right through!!! I shall leave the answers a bit longer depending on replies but definately no longer than 22.00 GMT.

Cheers!

Errm, guess I can put some possible answers up now:

1. Crested Coot
2. Cape Robin
3. Hadeda
4. Malachite Sunbird
5. Sacred Ibis
6. Errmm, some sort of accipiter
7. Gymnogene?
8. Groove-billed Ani
9. Belted Kingfisher
10. Is very pretty
11. Northern Pintail
12. Virginia Rail
13. Lincoln's Sparrow
14. Eastern Kingbird
15. Wilson's Phalarope
16. A crow
17. An eagle
18. A hornbill
19. A woodpecker of the genus Dryocopus
20. Crested Barbet

A few are 'off my radar', as you can see. Nice quiz by the way Steve.

Thanks for the quiz Steve. Amazing that there's a cuckoo that looks like a hornbill.

Not wishing to quibble, but No.13 looks a lot more like a Lincoln's Sparrow than a Song Sparrow to me. Very fine streaking on its underparts for a Song.

Hi Andrew, as you may well imagine with my rather limited knowledge, I will defer to just about anyone. It may be the website naming that is in question.

Glad you liked the quiz. Part 2 is up now!!!

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get online to have a go,but thanks for taking the trouble to compile the excellent quiz,Steve.
Hope to try the next one.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back