• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Longest Eye Relief (1 Viewer)

charlieton

Hi All.

I'm looking for either a monocular or binocular with extremely long eye relief. My intention is to use them over goggles while I play airsoft. It's like paintball, but with smaller projectiles.

Any recommendations?

I would preferably like to spend less than $200.00 USD. I found some really good Barska Deep Sea ones w/ 27mm Eye relief but the ebay auction ended. They were only $50.00!! Then I found Yukon's Futurus Pro 7x50wa that has 30mm eye relief. I just wanted to see if there are any alternatives that are cheaper and/or offer longer eye relief.

I've seen some binoculars that are listed w/ "unlimited" eye relief, but then I would see those same bins somewhere else with different specs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
My Olympus 7x50 have just shy of 24mm. Please use biodegradable pellets. Some of my favorite outdoor spots are now littered with Airsoft rounds.

I've seen some binoculars that are listed w/ "unlimited" eye relief, but then I would see those same bins somewhere else with different specs.

That would be true of bins (like opera glasses) that use Galilean telescopes (i.e. a converging lens objective and a diverging lens eyepiece) that don't have an exit pupil so you can't define ER for them.

Take a look around for the discontinued Nikon Sporters. A few years ago they were all the rage here on the forums. I had one pair of the 8x36s and, other than the level of apparent sharpness, thought they were very nice bins. They did offer what I would call excessive eye relief. I am sure it was listed at only 22 mm or so but I can assure you that, in practical use, it was much more. I tend to keep the eyecups fully collapsed on every model of bin I have owned...not with the Sporters.

...and if you cannot find them anywhere then try the Nikon Buckmaster....same bin, slightly different housing. I have seen the 10x36s still floating around as recently as a couple of weeks ago.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back