• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best alpha 7x42? (1 Viewer)

Yeah,
I was wondering if this was the same Trinovid that was the best binocular in the world, better image than the Hubble Space Telescope, far superior to anything else from Leica, Swaro or Zeiss. Actually regardless of view, both the SLC and 42mm size Trinovids are too heavy for my liking.

In reading this over again I can see how it comes across as a bit of ganging up on Dennis and I would like him and everyone elso to know that I truly appreciate Dennis's reviews, and that this was written in the spirit of fun, just a little ribbing him for his exuberance. Dennis please keep posting those reviews, positive or negative, I for one enjoy reading them. I'm a relative newcomer here and I think I got a little caught up in the moment and got a little out of line.

Please except my apologies.
John

FrankD, I knew that would get you excited........

I am not as experienced or knowledgeable as most on here but I am learning, slowly.

Darn, I took the bait....

;)

AP,

I ranked the Meopta higher because, in my experience it offers a few benefits over the Swaro SLC especially in that configuration. One, the most obvious, is the weight. The Meopta is 3 ounces lighter. Two, is the ergonomics. I don't have any issue with the SLCs in this case but the Meopta fits my hand like a glove. It is about the same length as the Leica Trinovid but with better texture on the rubber armor and thumb indents that are just about perfect in my opinion.

Optically it is pretty much a toss up between the SLC and the Meostar. The full size 42 mm models have that ever so slight warm color bias but other than that......

Sticking my oar in.....

I was at an optics event last autumn, [trying out the new ELs courtesy of our redoubtable Swaro Rep], when I came across a pair of non-HD Ultravid 7x42s that were on offer for very silly money, and I thought 'Why not?' and had a look through them. Wow.......... I enjoyed them more than the ELs [with which I could only fault the price]. I had to keep telling myself "You need 10x and you can't afford two pairs!". I can't use the 42 FLs due to Zeiss placing the focussing wheel so far back, and I know the HDs are an improvement... so the 7x42 HD wins, even though I've never so much as clapped eyes on a pair!
[Can't let pesky things like facts get in the way of an argument, can you? ;) ]

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back