• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pale Lesser Redpoll - or Common? (1 Viewer)

RoyW

I know that the identification of redpolls on the inner hebrides has been touched on before (at least in this thread from 2006; http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=66814 ), but I'd be interested in any comments people have about the identity of the bird in the attached photos. It was one of a pair seen near Uig, Skye, on 18th May. Both birds looked far paler than I am used to for Lesser Redpolls, and they gave the impression of being fairly large (but with no real comparison available that may just be wishful thinking). I would describe the breast of the male (in the photos) as being a fairly deep red colour, with this more or less restricted to the breast (it was far redder than it appears in these photos due to the angle & position of the bird).
All opinions welcome, especially if you have time to say why you would attribute it to a certain taxa. Is it a pale (worn?) Lesser Redpoll - or do we still not know enough to identify redpoll 'species' with certainty in some cases?

Attachments

• Redpoll.jpg
    Redpoll.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 287
  • Redpoll 2.jpg
    Redpoll 2.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 132
  • Redpoll 3.jpg
    Redpoll 3.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
I notice this has had 134 views to date, and no response.

I dare to reply.

I think we are in the flammea zone here. IMHO.

Very chunky, and, seemingly, in quite fresh plumage.

In the olden days I would have said Common. Without wishing to move 5 yards to find my book I don't know what that translates to in modern day parle.

Thanks to those who have replied. I think Jane is probably right to say that look like Hebridean redpolls and leave it at that (I have had confirmation from a Skye resident that they look like the birds that they call Lessers).
Doesn't look like the birds that I'm used to calling Lesser though - or the even paler birds that I'm happy to call Mealies!

looks like a typical Hebridean Redpoll to me. As to what taxa it is, I pass!

Jane, pray tell what exactly is a 'typical' Hebridean redpoll!;)

It's a bit like the male of the pair breeding in my garden (which I'm unsure of), however the female looks nothing like the male!

Cheers,
Andrew

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back