• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7x50 or 10x50 binoculars? (1 Viewer)

Yan

I am looking to buy a pair of binoculars to assist my use of a nipon scope which is powerful for long distance viewing. Of a 7x50 and 10x50 model, I am not sure which one to choose. Could you please advise? Thank you.

I have 7x50 and 10x50. They're both in the closet except on starry nights! I now use 8x32 bins. Given long distance, I would encourage you to also consider 10x42. 10x is a two edged sword. They will show more detail... if you can hold them steady! I have quantitatively tested my ability to handhold bins with my 7x, 8x and 10x, and find that I can only see as much detail in 10x as in 8x, handheld. Stabilized, I can see more.

With the added weight of a given 10x, and resulting fatigue over extended use, the benefits quickly diminish.

Matt

If you have a scope, you do not need 50mm. Look through 10x42s. The Nikon Monarchs at the light end, others a bit heavier. Try to stay under 700g. To some people only the extra weight gives steadiness, but you will not know till you try it in a store.

Most people are OK with 8x, so like Matt says, 8x32 is popular for birding. For shore birds and ducks I use 10x and a scope.

Which of these scopes do you have?
http://www.nipon-scope.com/page_1183651934984.html
not familiar with those

Last edited:
I strongly recommend the 7x. What Matt says applies to most people. You will see as much detail as 10x, just a smaller and more stable image, with 7x. The 7x will also have better shadow detail and color rendition. It will also magnify LESS any flaws in the optics like chromatic abberation, imperfect alignment, etc. And it will probably have a wider field of view for better scanning. You will have your scope and tripod for higher levels of magnification.

I second Tero's recommendation of a 8x32 roof over a 7x50 or 10x50 porro, because the 50mm aperture would add unnecessary weight. In my opinion, you only need the 50mm aperture for marine (boating) use and astronomy use at night.

--Bob
Kentucky, USA

Yes, I have got a Nipon 26-78x78 compact scope from www.nipon-scope.com and I have found it convenient to take around due to small size and multiple use. I have also added a Nipon 20-60x70 zoom spotting scope which is brilliant in image quality and power for a reasonable price.
But I am gettomg a bit confused by many options of binoculars, 7x50, 8x32, 10x42, 10x50, and 12x50. If I choose one of these for birding, which one should I go for?
Many thanks for your expert advice.

Since you do not have binoculars now, I suggest you borrow some 8x or 10x for a day. Check it out.

Without scope I would go 10x42 as my one and only. I need 10x in many situations.If you are comfortable with 10x.

With scope along, 8x32.

But many of us have two, some carry two 8x in the car or along on the trip. Use them one at a a time.

Last edited:
Yes, I have got a Nipon 26-78x78 compact scope from www.nipon-scope.com and I have found it convenient to take around due to small size and multiple use. I have also added a Nipon 20-60x70 zoom spotting scope which is brilliant in image quality and power for a reasonable price.

You'd make a good salesman for Nipon scopes... i wonder if you could tell me where in the U.K. their distributor is based, maybe his name as well?

Subtle, but not subtle enough to catch us out ;)

regards,
Andy

Unless you would use these binoculars under some very low light conditions where your eyes pupils would be dilated to 5mm, 6mm or 7mm, which is highly unlikely in any daytime use, there is no need to get a 50mm lens for daylight use. Even in subdued daylight your eye pupil will be no bigger than about 4mm. therefore a 10x42 or an 8x32 would give an appropriate exit pupil.

If your eye pupil is only 4mm and you use a 7x50 or a 10x50, your eye effectively makes that binocular act like a 7x28 or a 10x40. No need to spend the extra for the larger aperture (and weight) unless you plan to use it under dark skies.

edz

Another factor you need to consider is the FOV, which is probably more important than the brightness itself as the exit pupil is not the limiter here. 7x50 does give much wider FOV than its 10x50 equivalent. what you lose is the closeness brought in by 10x power. Which one is more important to you?

Keith,

for that purpose a 7x50 is one of the best instruments available if your eye's pupils are able to open up to 7mm. It beats an 8x32 then by far.

Steve

Yan,
Whether either 7x50 or 10x50 would be the ideal choice is of course a rich field for discussion. But people have their reasons, so I will steel myself, and answer your question as posed.

Since you will have a scope at your side, there's little point in coping with the demands of a high powered binocular. I'd choose the one most different from the scope, the 7x50.
Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back