• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (20 Viewers)

With reference to the feeding station I suppose you've considered living feeders?

I was at Slimbridge at the beginning of the year and they had planted up the edge of a field with a mix of seed-bearing plants which were still feeding lots of finches inc Linnets and Brambling in Jan.

Is it against SSSI requirements?

Paul

With reference to the feeding station I suppose you've considered living feeders?

I was at Slimbridge at the beginning of the year and they had planted up the edge of a field with a mix of seed-bearing plants which were still feeding lots of finches inc Linnets and Brambling in Jan.

Is it against SSSI requirements?

Paul

Paul right on the button mate.
I visit Marsh lane fairly regularly and they have a spring sown crop of a couple of acres in area. It is a double edged sword , in providing lapwing nesting sites in spring and in winter an ample supply of seeds for a wide range of passerines. It is supplemented with feeders but the majority of birds feed on the crop. We haven't got a lot of space at upton and like you say I am not sure if we would be allowed to plant a crop anyway. But it is certainly worth asking the question, which I will tomorrowB :)John
ps thanks for the software brilliant:t:

Paul right on the button mate.
I visit Marsh lane fairly regularly and they have a spring sown crop of a couple of acres in area. It is a double edged sword , in providing lapwing nesting sites in spring and in winter an ample supply of seeds for a wide range of passerines. It is supplemented with feeders but the majority of birds feed on the crop. We haven't got a lot of space at upton and like you say I am not sure if we would be allowed to plant a crop anyway. But it is certainly worth asking the question, which I will tomorrowB :)John
ps thanks for the software brilliant:t:

This is why the Trust need to get the nearby farmers on friendly terms and encourage them to adopt higher-level agri-environment schemes. It may be possible to persuade them to plant 'game crops' which are excellent for finches and buntings as well as providing cover and food for Pheasants in the winter months. Sadly, it transpires that the WWT doesn't have a particularly good track record when it comes to negotiating with some of the neighbouring farmers.

We haven't got a lot of space at upton and like you say I am not sure if we would be allowed to plant a crop anyway...

To me the obvious place is the area between the fence and the hedge beyond the second flashes hide - where the gravel pile was and beyond. That's a bigger area than it looks and it's out of the way of the salt plants.

To me the obvious place is the area between the fence and the hedge beyond the second flashes hide - where the gravel pile was and beyond. That's a bigger area than it looks and it's out of the way of the salt plants.

That area is still covered by the SSSI and it's probable that the cultivating of seed crops on SSSI land would be restricted / prohibited. The best bet IMO would be the strip of land (that used to be set-aside) north of the hen brook in the crop field between the archery field and the sewage works. The problem, though, is that it would require the farmer's cooperation and I'm not sure the WWT have even approached him.

Also, Yellow Wagtails probably bred in there about 10+ years ago when it was set-aside. :t:

That area is still covered by the SSSI and it's probable that the cultivating of seed crops on SSSI land would be restricted / prohibited. The best bet IMO would be the strip of land (that used to be set-aside) north of the hen brook in the crop field between the archery field and the sewage works. The problem, though, is that it would require the farmer's cooperation and I'm not sure the WWT have even approached him.

Also, Yellow Wagtails probably bred in there about 10+ years ago when it was set-aside. :t:

I was afraid that might be the case.

I think I know where the area you mention is - not viewable from a hide though?

I was afraid that might be the case.

I think I know where the area you mention is - not viewable from a hide though?

Good point re the viewing from the hide. I was, as always, thinking of the benefit to the birds rather than the visitors. The area would be visible from the east side of the archery field - maybe we could ask the sailing centre if we could put a bench in there or something. 8-P

.. I was, as always, thinking of the benefit to the birds rather than the visitors...

Ouch! ;)

But joking apart I think the two are intertwined - that was, I believe, the beauty of Scott's vision with Slimbridge. You surely can't get a much softer birding experience than the Peng observatory (and it's not one for real enthusiasts IMO) but that portion of a school trip has stayed with me for the whole of my life.

Paul

Many apologies for not attending the work party yesterday (sun 4th), due to circumstances beyond my control I was unable to make it. Looks like it went well, good work everybody involved.

Ouch! ;)

But joking apart I think the two are intertwined - that was, I believe, the beauty of Scott's vision with Slimbridge. You surely can't get a much softer birding experience than the Peng observatory (and it's not one for real enthusiasts IMO) but that portion of a school trip has stayed with me for the whole of my life.

Paul

No, you're absolutely right, Paul - the visitor experience is very important. It's just something I often tend to overlook - being the misanthropic git that I am. ;):t:

Many apologies for not attending the work party yesterday (sun 4th), due to circumstances beyond my control I was unable to make it. Looks like it went well, good work everybody involved.

Hi Gav
I wasn't expecting you anyway, I thought you had a prior engagement. Yes went well mate. ps nice new biscuits :eat: better than eating your caterpillars 8-P
B :)John

The birding was a bit quiet today:

MOORS POOL
19 Shoveler, 58 Teal, 1(!) Tufted Duck - and no Pochard, 4 Little Grebe, 4 GC Grebe (+ 1 on Sailing Pool), 240 Coot, 7 Moorhen, 4 Grey Heron, 21 Cormorant, 35 Canada Geese, 2 Mute Swan, 18 Curlew over late afternoon, an unknown number of Snipe flew out calling at dusk, Coal Tit along the track to the East Hide.

FLASHES
6 Common Snipe, 25 Lesser Redpoll in the silver birches at the rear of the Hen Pool, approx 100 Linnet over.

Interestingly Phil, sightings at RSPB Ham Wall re ducks strikes a similar note. I noticed the following remarks on the website over the weekend.
" Duck numbers still seem quite low, although Shoveler, Mallard, Teal and Wigeon can be seen quite easily, just not in large numbers" and " There seems to be a distinct lack of Tufted Duck at present for some reason". Any theories?

Des.

This is why the Trust need to get the nearby farmers on friendly terms and encourage them to adopt higher-level agri-environment schemes. It may be possible to persuade them to plant 'game crops' which are excellent for finches and buntings as well as providing cover and food for Pheasants in the winter months. Sadly, it transpires that the WWT doesn't have a particularly good track record when it comes to negotiating with some of the neighbouring farmers.

A series of game crops and stubble edges in the fields surrounding the Flashes and the A38 fields at the Moors Pool would be a perfect solution to our wintering finches, buntings and larks but unfortunately seems a very distant prospect at the minute. :-C

Interestingly Phil, sightings at RSPB Ham Wall re ducks strikes a similar note. I noticed the following remarks on the website over the weekend.
" Duck numbers still seem quite low, although Shoveler, Mallard, Teal and Wigeon can be seen quite easily, just not in large numbers" and " There seems to be a distinct lack of Tufted Duck at present for some reason". Any theories?

Des.
Here is my theory on the lack of Diving ducks on the reserve.
This autumn it became obvious that a regular passage of Pochard had occurred, although this was less apparent with Tufted. We have never witnessed before so I wonder if this has always happened during September through to November, but we have always assumed that once birds had arrived they stayed all winter and only moved on in extreme weather conditions. With the lack of hard weather to the east, maybe numbers have not yet been supplemented from birds further afield and all the local migrant athya's have now moved on to their wintering grounds. The upton wintering population has not yet arrived, but now the weather is worsening I would expect (hope:eek!:) they will soon show up. Last year a very distinctively facially marked female pochard was seen throughout the winter, which indicated that we do have a wintering flock, albeit small in number. We have also seen a dearth of Jack snipe records and as yet no bitterns, which would point to a lack of cold weather movement from the east, although one underlying factor could be at work, this being the low water levels.
The coot and shovelers are holding up their numbers and as pochard and tufted feed on the same items as them, with tufted being omnivorous and pochard vegetarian mostly, then food would not seem to be an issue.
Watch this space

Last edited:
Here is my theory on the lack of Diving ducks on the reserve.
This autumn it became obvious that a regular passage of Pochard had occurred, although this was less apparent with Tufted. We have never witnessed before so I wonder if this has always happened during September through to November, but we have always assumed that once birds had arrived they stayed all winter and only moved on in extreme weather conditions. With the lack of hard weather to the east, maybe numbers have not yet been supplemented from birds further afield and all the local migrant athya's have now moved on to their wintering grounds. The upton wintering population has not yet arrived, but now the weather is worsening I would expect (hope:eek!:) they will soon show up. Last year a very distinctively facially marked female pochard was seen throughout the winter, which indicated that we do have a wintering flock, albeit small in number. We have also seen a dearth of Jack snipe records and as yet no bitterns, which would point to a lack of cold weather movement from the east, although one underlying factor could be at work, this being the low water levels.
The coot and shovelers are holding up their numbers and as pochard and tufted feed on the same items as them, with tufted being omnivorous and pochard vegetarian mostly, then food would not seem to be an issue.
Watch this space

Its funny how diving duck numbers are down at Upton and Middleton, strange to think that my urban patch (sheepwash Up) has had an INCREASE in Pochard (and lesser so Tufties), there was 52 Pochard the last time i checked, which is far above what i would usually expect!
MB

Today at the Moors
GCG 5, Shoveler 17(15 males), Teal c65, Wigeon 7 ( 2 adult males), TUFTED 7,
c10 Snipe, 17 Curlew a couple of water rail called, kingfisher
a good scattering of redwing and fieldfare along the causeway and north moors,
also goldcrest.

I will update work party later, suffice to say another excellent day with 12 of us creating a new facility at the North Moors. I will be back after footy, but I have got to resize pics so might be tomorrow.

Last edited:
I don't recall a Bittern sighting as yet this winter, am i right? I'm just a bit concerned as there seem to be a few records coming from other wintering grounds. It would be a big blow if one doesn't appear.
Mike.

I don't recall a Bittern sighting as yet this winter, am i right? I'm just a bit concerned as there seem to be a few records coming from other wintering grounds. It would be a big blow if one doesn't appear.
Mike.

Hi Mike - no records at all this autumn / winter; birds have returned to Brandon Marsh, Slimbridge and Ladywalk so far.

Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back