• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (10 Viewers)

Today's Reed Warbler advances the year list to 123 and the April total to 105 with still 10 days to go.

By the end of April 2012 the year list was on 122 with a monthly total of 107.

Possible year ticks before the end of this month include Little Egret, Tawny Owl, Grasshopper Warbler, Lesser Whitethroat, Black Tern, Sandwich Tern, Sanderling, Greenshank, Wheatear, Whinchat, Garganey and Hobby.

A Reed Warbler was reported singing from the Hen Brook reed bed by a visiting birder from Lancashire early on Friday morning. I heard and saw it myself later.I must have neglected to write it down in the book. Sorry!

Sunday 21st April

This morning's combined sightings from myself, Dave J and Gary are as follows:

MOORS POOL
6 Teal, 6 Shoveler, 2 Gadwall (pair on North Moors), 1 Shelduck, 34 Tufted Duck + 4 on North Moors, 7+ Little Grebe, 4 GC Grebe (at least two nests under construction), 1 Lapwing, 2 Snipe, 5 Oystercatcher, 6 Moorhen, Water Rail, 2 LBB Gull, 1 Herring Gull, 5 Cormorant, 1 Grey Heron, 2 Jay, Kingfisher, all 3 woodpeckers - Lesser Spot reported along the River Salwarpe, 5+ Reed Warbler, 2 Common Whitethroat on North Moors, 2 singing Willow Warbler, 5+ Lesser Redpoll along east track, 1 Common Sandpiper, 2 Rook over, 2 Mute Swan + 5 over, 9 Greylag Geese, 24 Canada Geese, LRP first thing, 9 Buzzard, Sparrowhawk

EDUCATION RESERVE

2 singing Willow Warbler

SAILING POOL
2 Whitethroat - 1 in scrub south of Sailing Centre, 1 on east shore

FLASHES
25 Avocet - yet another reserve record, 5 Black-tailed Godwit, 2 Lapwing, 3 LRP, 2 common Sandpiper, Green Sandpiper reported, 2 Shelduck, 4 Tufted Duck, 3 Coot, 5 Moorhen, 2 LBB Gull, 9 Stock Dove, 2 Canada Geese, 4 Mute Swan - pairs on first Flash and third Flash, female Redstart reported in footpath hedge, Common Whitethroat right on hide

Hopefully the Snipe, Teal and Shoveler will linger the required two weeks to be present on the All-Dayer.

Messrs Walker and Belsey were camped out for the afternoon so we will see what they will uncover.

Late news from yesterday was a reserve record of 22 Buzzard kettling to the west of the Moors Pool as per Steve Taylor.

Nest boxes

A number of the nest boxes around the reserve - especially at the Flashes - are showing signs of woodpecker attack. Has anyone got any of the entrance plate they are willing to donate or know where they can be purchased locally? (Sy V - did you source some from somewhere?)

A number of the nest boxes around the reserve - especially at the Flashes - are showing signs of woodpecker attack. Has anyone got any of the entrance plate they are willing to donate or know where they can be purchased locally? (Sy V - did you source some from somewhere?)

I had/have some somewhere, but need to to get screw/nail holes drilled in the corners before they will be of any use.

superb day for mary today,3 new annual bird ticks and major wild life today.will post more photos after others later
1 to 3 common newt
4 something going on over there?

Attachments

• 17th April 001.jpg
    17th April 001.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 17th April 002.jpg
    17th April 002.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 17th April 003.jpg
    17th April 003.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 17th April 004.jpg
    17th April 004.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 142
can't add a great deal to this Phil other than:-
MOORS:
Shoveler 10, common sand 2, lapwing 2, cettis warbler, sedge warbler 1 each on North Moors and west moors. Sand martin c100 house martin 10, swallow 25,

Sailing Pool south shore:
redpoll 6 in larch trees.swallow 40,

FLASHES
Teal 3 (pr + fem), LRP 4 - 6. snipe, curlew 2,

Blackcaps and chiffchaff are everywhere, but sedge warblers should be more numerous. But after last years disastrous breeding season, we shouldn't really expect otherwise.B :)John

Just for the ladies

Today we found a bundle of fluff in the north moors plantation, it ended up being these.
We were in a dilemma as to what to do, but when they come and sit on your boot as one did. Then its quite obvious, that they are in need of help. One of the 4 was almost dead, lying away from the other 3. The Evesham wildlife rescue came and took them into care.

Attachments

• 1foxDSCF7158 (2).JPG
    1foxDSCF7158 (2).JPG
    354.9 KB · Views: 155
  • 2foxDSCF7166 (2).JPG
    2foxDSCF7166 (2).JPG
    443.2 KB · Views: 146
  • 3foxDSCF7170 (2).JPG
    3foxDSCF7170 (2).JPG
    442.3 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
A couple of pictures of Mary holding one of the orphaned Fox cubs. Many thanks to the people of the Vale Wildlife Rescue Centre who came out to (hopefully) save them. B :)

Attachments

• Fox Cub + Mary.jpg
    Fox Cub + Mary.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 133
  • Birder Gladys + Fox Cub.jpg
    Birder Gladys + Fox Cub.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Roe deer yesterday at Flashes
fish in Hen Pool today, is it a stickleback

Attachments

• FISH HEN POOL.JPG
    FISH HEN POOL.JPG
    205.1 KB · Views: 104
  • ROE DEER (2).JPG
    ROE DEER (2).JPG
    394.1 KB · Views: 88
male 3-spined stickleback, John Gasterosteous aculeatus. The males make a nest into which they intice the female and once the eggs are laid he chucks her out and fertilizes them. She clears off leaving him to do all the work.

BCNU - UTV:t:

I thought it was a Neon Tetra......well it has warmed up of late....he he.
Keith :t:

Last edited:
A couple of pictures of Mary holding one of the orphaned Fox cubs. Many thanks to the people of the Vale Wildlife Rescue Centre who came out to (hopefully) save them. B :)

Great pics of the cubs and especially the ones with Mary.....I bet she wanted to keep at least one of them.

Keith :t:

I'll look out what I have and advise here tomorrow. Not sure I'll be down this Saturday, but will be on next two.

Cheers

OK, I lied and didn't post over the weekend.

I have the following reports:

2011 - 4 copies
2010 - 15 copies
2009 - 6 copies

I'll put one of each aside for Andy P (Spoonbill Finder).

I also have a few of most previous years in the 2000s if anyone id interested.

Cheers
Mike

OK, I lied and didn't post over the weekend.

I have the following reports:

2011 - 4 copies
2010 - 15 copies
2009 - 6 copies

I'll put one of each aside for Andy P (Spoonbill Finder).

I also have a few of most previous years in the 2000s if anyone id interested.

Cheers
Mike

at what cost 8-P or is it donations, to the 'fighting fund project.
If anyone wants to sponsor our spring all-dayer (per species) contact any of the wardens or Phil, Dave, Mike, Rob or Myself

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back