• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pelagics/ whale watching in Japan? (1 Viewer)

adam.oscarson

Hi!

Going to Japan in September, probably gonna spend most of the time around Tokyo, but I'm moveable. Would like to do some whale watching and/or Pelagics while I'm there. Are there any organized tours (companies), or ferry lines that are recommended? Or any other suggestions on how to see seabirds and whales.

Best regards,

Adam

Ferry trip from Tokyo to Mijakejima island is a very convenient option and should produce excellent range of seabirds and quite possibly whales and dolphins.

Ferry leaves about 10.30 pm to Mijakejima, arriving about 5 am. (obviously dark this period), then allows you a day on the island (enough time to see the endemic species), then sails back about 1 pm -this being the time for the pelagic. Gets into Tokyo about 10.30 pm.

If you prefer more time doing see birds, you don't have to get off at Mijakejima, but instead stay on board - it will do a return trip to Hachijojima, thus giving you a full day of seawatching.

A much longer option, and a classic pelagic trip on a good day, is the Oarai (east of Narita Airport) to Hokkaido ferry, but this is about 18 hours each way. If you opt for this, best option is to take the late night ferry north (rather than early evening ferry) - gives you a full day in superb waters.

Last edited:
Ferry trip from Tokyo to Mijakejima island is a very convenient option and should produce excellent range of seabirds and quite possibly whales and dolphins.

Ferry leaves about 10.30 pm to Mijakejima, arriving about 5 am. (obviously dark this period), then allows you a day on the island (enough time to see the endemic species), then sails back about 1 pm -this being the time for the pelagic. Gets into Tokyo about 10.30 pm.

If you prefer more time doing see birds, you don't have to get off at Mijakejima, but instead stay on board - it will do a return trip to Hachijojima, thus giving you a full day of seawatching.

A much longer option, and a classic pelagic trip on a good day, is the Oarai (east of Narita Airport) to Hokkaido ferry, but this is about 18 hours each way. If you opt for this, best option is to take the late night ferry north (rather than early evening ferry) - gives you a full day in superb waters.

The overnight ferry Oarai is also fine as first light finds you in excellent waters (over 5km deep I recall!). If you are short of time you could take the evening ferry and then fly back from Sapporo to Tokyo the next afternoon (internal flights in Japan are seemingly very cheap at the moment). There is a bus that leaves from outside of the ferry terminal when you arrive at Tomakomai and takes about 2 hrs to Sapporo.

I did the overnight ferry early last month and was somewhat thwarted by thick fog for most of the journey (I still saw Laysan Albatross, South Polar Skua, Spectacled Guillemot, Short-tailed Shearwater and thousands of Streaked Shearwaters).

But as Jos notes the Mijakejima ferry is also very good and the ferry departs from Tokyo port which is easier to get to than Oarai and also gets you some very tasty Japanese endemics.

Note that all the ferries really need to be booked in advance and this can't be done more than a month before or online!

If you know someone in Japan who can call the ferry company and book that would help.

If you do have more time then NE Hokkaido is excellent for birds and with Brown Bears and Killers Whales almost guaranteed as long as boats can get out (I saw 9 Brown Bears and 20+ Killer Whales and Pine Grosbeak in the same day!). you will however need to hire a car for this. If you need more detail on how to do this, let me know.

Finally, travelling around Japan is easy. The people are simply amazing; if you don't know what to do or where to go just ask.

I took the Ogasawara ferry (Tokyo -> Chichijima). 25 hrs each way. A second 2 hr ferry takes you to Hahajima for the Bonin White-eye. The seabirding in April was mindblowing. Hundreds of thousands of Streaked and Short-tailed Shearwaters, thousands of Sooty Shearwaters and Tristram's Storm-Petrels. Add in Black-footed and Short-tailed Albatross, Matsudaira's Storm-Petrel, Wedge-tailed Shearwater, Bonin Petrel, Bulwer's Petrel, and a couple that got away - some small Tropical/Bannerman's type Shearwaters and a probable Kermedec Petrel. Japanese Murrelet, more alcids, jaegers... was off the charts.

Hi!

It all sounds amazing! We ended up not doing any pelaics i Japan this time, but I'll save it for next time! Japan was great and I'll definately go back some time!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back