• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monarch HG binoculars and hello from a new member (1 Viewer)

Hi all.

I have been a lurker here for some while now and though it would be prudent to give something back if possible :) Don't just like to take..take..take.

I was intently watching the Monarch HG threads here as I was soon to buy myself a new top end (give or take) pair for my work. I am a wildlife photographer that uses my bins for spotting and observing out in mostly Africa, but also more gloomy UK haunts as well. I have been privileged enough to trial bins from all the manufacturers in Africa (mostly the top ends) as well as trying the wide variety my clients bring on tour. I also speak off an on at the Rutland Birdfair so get to play with at the stands there.

My final choice came down to the Kowa 8x33's and the monarch HG 8x42 after what was actually 5 years of testing so to speak.

I now have the Nikons permanently in my kit bag and would be happy to answer any questions people have about them, especially vs most of the Alphas. Seems there is a lot of interest in first hand opinions and I would be happy to chip in. For reference I personally wouldn't have gone 'full alpha' as I am not endlessly flush and as well do respect the law of diminishing returns. They are just a tool for me at the end of the day, but I do appreciate a finely made bit of kit.

Also, as a non 'full-on' twitcher my views are perhaps not too pertinent to many of you? Either way I look forward to lurking no more and simply say hi to you all if nothing else.

Richard Costin.

What made your decision re: vs the 8x33 Kowa? These two bins, as well as the 8x32 Zeiss Conquest HD and Meopta Meostar HD (Cabela's Euro HD branded) are on my radar as a second/lightweight bin.

For reference I've owned/own many of the top alpha models including Zeiss Victory FL, Swarovski Swarovision and SLC-HD, Nikon SE, and Leica Ultravid BR.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Richard. I think you've made an entirely understandable and logical choice (I imagine weight, and ease of use quickly and low light ability of the 5.25mm EP were important factors - is that the reason why you didn't go 10x42 MHG?).

I'm sure many here would welcome your opinions versus other options.

Chosun :gh:

Hi all, sorry for the delay in replying.

One of the main factors was that I mainly use these from a large 4x4 out in the Masai Mara. Seemed logical to lean towards a larger size as I won't be on long treks with them. That and I had tried them out a fair amount and got on really well with them.

I use Nikon camera equipment and find it very reliable. The large field of view was a big point too as well as it being a more or less very up to date design.

If you are after a pair to travel light then I perhaps would err to the Kowas, those are my first recommend if you don't want to go full size. I am finding the HGs just as sharp though and of course a touch brighter with the larger optics. The Kowa has maybe a very slight edge with regards to CA control. I also found the Kowa 8x33 and these HGs to have noticeably less fringing than my guides Swaro ELs which were rather purple on contrast edges on the outer side of the view, I believe they are the 8x42s he has.

As much as I love the Kowa 8x33 I never seemed to get on comfort wise with the big Kowas (8x44 I believe?) so they weren't an option. That's just down to my face shape probably!

I did a little write up on the Kowas on my site and will probably do the same after my trip to the Mara next month for the Nikons.

www.richardcostin.com/articles/reviews/kowa-genesis-xd-10x33-binoculars-review/

Cheers,
Richard.

Hello and welcome

Hello Richard,

Welcome and thanks for the offer of answering questions.

The MHG is on my shortlist.

Frustratingly, I'm finding it very difficult to put my paws on a set of MHGs in my hunting ground which is predominantly (but not exclusively) London. I won't buy blind and we don't really have the sale or return/get two- send one back options that seem possible in the USA.

I'll keep looking but where I was confident of securing a play when I shortlisted them, I'm less so now. Still trying though.

Anyway. Questions.

I noticed you mention CA in the SV EL when set against the Nikon MHG. How did you feel other bins you have experienced stack up on this metric?

Personally, I couldn't detect any real issues with the two alphas I briefly tested (Leica NV & Zeiss SF T*) I see it in my current pair under certain difficult conditions but rarely smack in the sweet spot and I'm not ultra sensitive to its presence.I didn't even mention it in my last post. The two alphas have such large fields it may be less distinct to me. They may also have superior polarising qualities too. Since you've spotted it in the Swaro Im curious to know your thoughts on some of the others you've seen?

How does build quality, fit, finish and mechanical performance stack up?

I'm guessing you're confident they can deal with being travelled with as well as perhaps the odd knock and scuff in the back of a Defender/Landcruiser Troopie etc.?

How is the tonal range in wide contrast and high key/bleached out conditions? Does the MHG exhibit any richer tonal saturation in a particular part of the spectrum to you and in the conditions you mention?

Just two more...

If you wear glasses or shades, is there plenty of eye relief for you ?

Did you buy the MHG in a shop and test it first or from the internet blind?

Many thanks.

All the best

TM

Hi TM, thanks! Sorry for the delay in replying. I'll try to answer your questions as best I can...

Frustratingly, I'm finding it very difficult to put my paws on a set of MHGs in my hunting ground which is predominantly (but not exclusively) London. I won't buy blind and we don't really have the sale or return/get two- send one back options that seem possible in the USA.
I am in London a lot at the moment, mostly around Oxford Circus. If I get a moment you are more than welcome to meet for a coffee and have a look at them. Else the Rutland Birdfair in August will have every pair under the sun to try out in person properly.

I noticed you mention CA in the SV EL when set against the Nikon MHG. How did you feel other bins you have experienced stack up on this metric?
I was surprised, near shocked when I used the swaros mentioned. Just shouldn't have any CA at that level. Leica Ultravids, Victory SFs from memory were both pretty much CA free. I will add that I def think the Kowa x33 genesis have a slight edge over the HG for CA. Slight being the operative word, I did get some very, very slight dancing CA on extreme edges. I am quite sensitive to CA and it didn't worry me though, you had to go looking for it.

Personally, I couldn't detect any real issues with the two alphas I briefly tested (Leica NV & Zeiss SF T*) I see it in my current pair under certain difficult conditions but rarely smack in the sweet spot and I'm not ultra sensitive to its presence.I didn't even mention it in my last post. The two alphas have such large fields it may be less distinct to me. They may also have superior polarising qualities too. Since you've spotted it in the Swaro Im curious to know your thoughts on some of the others you've seen?
I was impressed by the latest top end Vanguard binos for the money certainly (I forget their name at the moment, their big ones). The Kowas were in the same league as the equivalent top end Leicas (https://www.richardcostin.com/articles/reviews/leica-ultravid-10x32-hd-plus-binoculars-review/) and still would be my #1 choice of smaller travel bins at any price personally. I can also highly recommend the Kowa 10x25 compacts if size is really important to you. I actually own those as well and still enjoy the view when I need to travel ultra light.

Fantastic. I mistreat all my gear as I am mostly focussed on getting the picture and not putting myself and clients in any danger. The one slight niggle is that the eye cups on the eye ball end could be a somewhat tighter fit. Focus is smooth and plenty of room to be precise.

I'm guessing you're confident they can deal with being travelled with as well as perhaps the odd knock and scuff in the back of a Defender/Landcruiser Troopie etc.?
Definitely, they will sit out of the case on the open land cruiser car for the whole trip out in the mara.

How is the tonal range in wide contrast and high key/bleached out conditions? Does the MHG exhibit any richer tonal saturation in a particular part of the spectrum to you and in the conditions you mention?
I'd describe the view as pin sharp and very neutral. Very, very hot bleached out views you may see a very small amount of twitchy CA as mentioned. Only under very hard lighting though.

No glasses, my Dad liked the view with glasses on though and without glasses they are very comfortable.

Tried at the birdfair last year and borrowed a pair from Nikon before deciding to buy.

Many thanks.
You're welcome!

Many thanks Richard

Hi TM, thanks! Sorry for the delay in replying. I'll try to answer your questions as best I can...

I am in London a lot at the moment, mostly around Oxford Circus. If I get a moment you are more than welcome to meet for a coffee and have a look at them. Else the Rutland Birdfair in August will have every pair under the sun to try out in person properly.

That's a very generous and kind offer Richard. I'll pm you in due course about that if you wouldn't mind? I'm almost certainly going to the Rutland Birdfair this year. Really looking forward to it. Funnily enough I'm not currently sure if I'm actually going to 'make it' that far without buying some bins. Mrs Moog wants us out and about in AONB's and parks this summer and a single pair between us can be frustrating. I do see her point though.

I was surprised, near shocked when I used the swaros mentioned. Just shouldn't have any CA at that level. Leica Ultravids, Victory SFs from memory were both pretty much CA free. I will add that I def think the Kowa x33 genesis have a slight edge over the HG for CA. Slight being the operative word, I did get some very, very slight dancing CA on extreme edges. I am quite sensitive to CA and it didn't worry me though, you had to go looking for it.

Interesting. I should get a shot at some ELs in the next week or two. I'm anticipating being less sensitive too but the proof is in the view.

I was impressed by the latest top end Vanguard binos for the money certainly (I forget their name at the moment, their big ones). The Kowas were in the same league as the equivalent top end Leicas (https://www.richardcostin.com/articles/reviews/leica-ultravid-10x32-hd-plus-binoculars-review/) and still would be my #1 choice of smaller travel bins at any price personally. I can also highly recommend the Kowa 10x25 compacts if size is really important to you. I actually own those as well and still enjoy the view when I need to travel ultra light.

The Utravids would be great but for the ER. The 7x are in the ballpark but none of the others. Will head over to one of the London Leicas to check at some point.
Kowa's are just not an option due to their lack of shop presence sadly.

Fantastic. I mistreat all my gear as I am mostly focussed on getting the picture and not putting myself and clients in any danger. The one slight niggle is that the eye cups on the eye ball end could be a somewhat tighter fit. Focus is smooth and plenty of room to be precise.

Not sure if that's something that could be sured up with a dab of silicon sealant or a bit of shim. Not suggesting you do that of course. Might be an interesting test of backup if you have the time.Someone on here will have a fix. Certainly doesn't sound something that's going to be a problem out in the field if known about.
Quite understand about that. Large fangs, clients and loss of periperal vision - closer to nature than one might have bargained for. Expect bins need to look after themselves at a push.

Definitely, they will sit out of the case on the open land cruiser car for the whole trip out in the mara.

Wow. Guess the fact they can be purchased almost two for one with a euro alpha is a fraction less of a blow should they fall lens down on a low range shift or take a boot. I'm not anticipating quite that level of routine exposure , at least not in such a short and professionally-based timeframe but it's amazing how kit one carries all the time either weathers well or gives up the ghost and won't perform eh?
Even an military grade EDC bag shows it's metal or not inside six months of negotiating nothing more than daily urban grind.

I'd describe the view as pin sharp and very neutral. Very, very hot bleached out views you may see a very small amount of twitchy CA as mentioned. Only under very hard lighting though.

Yeah, I'm guessing it's a lot of bleached out vistas with wildlife having the good sense to lurk in whatever shadow comes to hand. Very, very difficult to pull any detail out of those pockets of shadow when ones eyes are telling one to work in the opposite direction. Maybe that's just the situation for an EDG-like flared eyepiece cover. Certainly very testing conditions I imagine.

No glasses, my Dad liked the view with glasses on though and without glasses they are very comfortable.

Thats good to know. Thank you.

Tried at the birdfair last year and borrowed a pair from Nikon before deciding to buy.

That's the way it SHOULD be done in a perfect world.

Many thanks.
You're welcome!

Wishing you the very best out there in the Landcruiser with the MHGs and wherever else opportunities present themselves.

TM

Just thought I would chip back in and say they were every bit as good as I hoped they were out being used properly in Africa.

Utterly made tracking and watching even more of a pleasure than usual and were fine to use for extended periods.

For whatever you consider my opinion's worth, I can highly recommend them. I do believe they represent a sweet spot of quality/price if you are willing to invest some money in a decent high end pair.

Rich.

Just thought I would chip back in and say they were every bit as good as I hoped they were out being used properly in Africa.

Utterly made tracking and watching even more of a pleasure than usual and were fine to use for extended periods.

For whatever you consider my opinion's worth, I can highly recommend them. I do believe they represent a sweet spot of quality/price if you are willing to invest some money in a decent high end pair.

Rich.

Thanks for the follow up and I AGREE with your conclusion!
Happy safaris!

The Monarch HG binoculars are surprisingly lightweight. I’d want to know how the low weight was achieved, in terms of mechanical construction, before laying out close to a grand. It is the mechanical design and quality that will determine durability, lifespan, and the possibility of lubricating and adjusting components after years of service.

That said, Allbinos rave about them.

Which Swarovski EL version does your guide use?

The Monarch HG binoculars are surprisingly lightweight. I’d want to know how the low weight was achieved, in terms of mechanical construction, before laying out close to a grand. It is the mechanical design and quality that will determine durability, lifespan, and the possibility of lubricating and adjusting components after years of service.

That said, Allbinos rave about them.

Which Swarovski EL version does your guide use?

My Monarch 7 8x42's are also very light weight for their size. I haven't thrashed them the way I have my Conquest HD 8x42's (which have weathered serious abuse with no qualms) but the build quality and finish seems impeccable and I've never experienced a problem, nor have I heard of problems with that model. Not sure if these are coming from the same factory.

Do we know who is making the Monarch 7's and the HG's actually?

My Monarch 7 8x42's are also very light weight for their size. I haven't thrashed them the way I have my Conquest HD 8x42's (which have weathered serious abuse with no qualms) but the build quality and finish seems impeccable and I've never experienced a problem, nor have I heard of problems with that model. Not sure if these are coming from the same factory.

Do we know who is making the Monarch 7's and the HG's actually?

Nikon is making these models of course. They have factories in China where
the Monarch 7 is made, and the Monarch HG is made in Japan.

I also own both of these models, and over the years I have found that
Nikon has very good quality control over all of their optics.

For example, that means you don't find a sloppy focuser with any Nikon
binocular, no matter where it is manufactured.

This is what distinguishes Nikon from the short line makers who do not
have their own people in control.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back