Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Find out what Zeiss have planned at Birdfair 2017

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Friday 21st July 2017, 15:13   #1126
doody

Hi Mike,

That`s brilliant, a perfect result. Well not quite perfect for me & the bird will remain on my list of “possibles” [subject to my concience]. I will never learn. I knew of the report of 2nd June as regards the possible Ruppell`s yet still I failed to take field notes & I was more interested at the time unbelievably in seeing a Moltoni`s [concentrating closer to the ground rather than high in the sky]. I like to think I have a good eye for detail & memory to record them [part of my job as an architect] but there is always a sneaking doubt that I`ve mixed up features from different individuals. However on this occasion there was only one unusual bird. I think it was you who referred to the different jizz of Ruppells. My bird banked showing its largely dark underparts & what I thought was a particularly short tail compared to the Griffons. Your description “compact” registered. Anyway thanks for your kind comments
Old Friday 21st July 2017, 17:45   #1127
Mike Montier

Thanks doody, I think it was Barred Wobbler who gave such great comparisons on Ruppell's v Griffon, very good they were too. We all now know what to look for, i.e. More compact, shorter tail etc. I look forward to that photo...
Mike
Old Saturday 22nd July 2017, 08:37   #1128
doody

Apologies Barred Wobbler
Old Yesterday, 19:26   #1129
HartleyPoole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Montier View Post
Hi HartleyPoole, Maristany is also known as Tucan Marsh, it can be found on the road from Alcudia to Pollensa. Going from the main reserve at Albufera, travel past most of the shops and roundabouts until you reach a roundabout by Burger King. Go straight on and very soon you will see Lidl. There is a small track down the side of the supermarket which takes you to the marsh. It's really good at the moment because it's drying out and there is lots of exposed mud. There is a big roost of Night Heron and mixed egrets including the egretta gularis, a big rarity here. Two Ruddy shelducks too, another rarity. It's a great little reserve. There are much better details earlier in this thread rather than my old fashioned ones. Good luck, it's very hot but early mornings are best, especially at Maristany because the roosting birds disperse soon after dawn. Mike
Perfect, spotted it. Yes I will be an early bird visitor despite staying near Palma, unimpressed with pending heat and the time of visit but after 6 hours solid rain in North East England, it will be welcome.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: