• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

May/June in Minnesota (1 Viewer)

bkrownd

I'm going to be in Minnesota at the transition from May to June. I plan to visit the Minnesota Valley NWR and Crosby Farm park again, as well as the Bald Eagle Lake area and perhaps some spots on the St. Croix. Any other recommendations for the metro area? I never paid much attention to species when I lived there - what kind of uncommon birds should I look for?

Nobody familiar with Minnesota? I'm also planning to visit the North Shore for a day to see one of the Nature Conservancy preserves

Crosby Farm Regional Park was the best birdwatching location I found in February (woodpecker heaven), and so far it's still the best (now) in May.

Indigo buntings, Baltimore orioles, northern cardinals, robins, blue jays, sparrows of some sort, house(?) wrens, redstarts, downy and hairy and red-bellied woodpeckers, great blue herons, great white egrets, bald eagles, wood ducks, mallards...some other things, as well...

Last edited:
Crow-Hassan Park Reserve near Rodgers at the northwest edge of the suburbs is a really good one, too! It has grasslands (prairie restoration), forests, wetlands, and the Crow river, and all the species you'd expect in those habitats. I've seldom seen so many species in one day before. Much of the park has a "little house on the prairie" feel to it, which is appropriate for this part of Minnesota.

Murphy-Hanrehan Park Reserve was much less interesting - VERY quiet. I did get one new species there, but I heard very few birds, which was puzzling because I read some good reviews of it.

The areas West of Bald Eagle Lake in White Bear Township is still pretty nice, and as mosquito-plagued as ever.

Wow - today I visited the section of the Superior Hiking Trail passing through Finland, MN near the Finland "Rec Center". Beautiful trail and forest, all decked out in the intense spring green of brand-new leaves. Warblers everywhere. Comfortable cool shady weather. Highly recommended. Warbler Heaven is located at N47d25.797m W91d13.214m on the Superior Hiking Trail. I may have to move to Duluth sooner than I had expected. ;)

Tomorrow I'm doing the birdwatching tour at the Minnesota Valley NWR, and another park or two. Last day of vacation before returning to the grind.

Shame I missed this... this info section doesn't work well for me.
I've written a report about MN (it's on the net at birdtours.co.uk). If you can still get to Black Dog Lake (with a lot of repellent), check that out. I did quite well at Murphy-Hanrehan (I thought), but you have to know the locations I guess... and I only heard Cerulean Warbler (which is a pity).

Funny you should mention Black Dog, which has been in the local news this week, as the police have been busy busting a bunch of people around there for lewd acts in public.

I got to join the tour of the Rapids Lake unit of the Minnesota Valley NWR today, which was fortunate. I learn and see so much more with a guide.

The trail down to the St. Croix river (a few miles North of Stillwater) from the corner of Arcola and Rivard is short but quite nice. It's on the Twin Cities Birding Map as "Arcola Ski Trail, Foster Tract". The river is high now, and quite scenic from the end of the trail. Lots of tweeters.

Tried a couple times to find the prothonotary warblers at Crosby Farm Park, but no luck. Every wren in town came by for a photo, though.

*sigh* - vacation's over already.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reports, a shame I found this post so late!!! I am planning on visiting Crosby Farm later this week. Hopefully I will be able to see a good variety!!!!!

Funny you should mention Black Dog, which has been in the local news this week, as the police have been busy busting a bunch of people around there for lewd acts in public.
Oh well, it never fails... the dangers of metropolitan birding I suppose!

Reviewing photos on my flights today I was pleased to see that I had more species of warblers and sparrows than I had remembered. :) If I had just one more day I'm certain I'd quickly find 2-3 more of each.

Thanks for the reports, a shame I found this post so late!!! I am planning on visiting Crosby Farm later this week. Hopefully I will be able to see a good variety!!!!!

Have you seen the directions for the Prothonotary Warblers? Essentially around the far southeastern corner of the park near the boggy areas along the little dirt trails. I saw a little bird there with a call so high it was on the upper edge of hearing, and difficult to locate until it was too late for a photo - it was just 12 feet above my face. "Psp.....psp.....psp.....psp....." No singing though - just the call. I'll spend the rest of my life wondering if it was one of them. ;)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back