• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagles over Ronda (1 Viewer)

andy@andy

Hi guys yesterday whilst visiting Ronda, Spain. I was looking into the gorge and suddenly all the Rock Doves etc took off in panic. Expecting something like a falcon in the gorge I was amazed to see passing overhead up to 15 large Eagles.Obviously they had come across above the town for the lift it must generate. Can anybody suggest what species they might have been as I say they were large and they had tails that were flared out almost meeting the wings (sorry I couldn't make out markings as although they were low the sun meant they were largely silhouettes and were past in moments). Sorry for such a vague question but I was intrigued as to what species they might be obviously I would guess on migration to Africa via Gibraltar perhaps. Apologies for my lack of knowledge but we do not get many Eagles in Norfolk.

I am pleased just to have seen such amazing creatures.

From your description its impossible to be sure - but given location I would guess they were either Griffon Vultures....or the eagle most likely in those numbers would be Booted or Short-toed Eagles.

Not seen Short-toed migrating in large groups. Have just returned from a 10 day break in Jimena de la Frontera (it's way down the road from Ronda on the way to Algeciras). I saw a few Booted Eagles, and also Short-toed. Also, most of the Eagles have already gone to Africa. Griffon Vultures on the other hand do move around in groups, and are resident.

Not seen Short-toed migrating in large groups. Have just returned from a 10 day break in Jimena de la Frontera (it's way down the road from Ronda on the way to Algeciras). I saw a few Booted Eagles, and also Short-toed. Also, most of the Eagles have already gone to Africa. Griffon Vultures on the other hand do move around in groups, and are resident.

Short-toed and Booted are still in groups out here at Sagres, Portugal where its typical for late birds to appear now - they must go through the Strait at some point. However I suspect that they were Griffons and the pigeons were spooked or it was just a co-incidence/unseen raptor. Griffons are moving in numbers at the moment with a large dispersal involving non-breeding birds - about 10,000 of these cross the Strait and many appear at Sagres - producing large groups of over a 1,000 some years - recently we have had groups up to 500+ and inc. a couple of Rüppell's. We are waiting for larger numbers - around the end of October ;)

I should have added Jon, that of course Griffons are resident around Ronda :t:

Last edited:
Hi
I have had a look at images of Griffon Vultures in flight and I think that was most likely they have the same tail shape and closeness to the wings as the birds I saw also the size is consistent with the ones I saw (I can only describe them as 'bloody' huge). I didn't realise they were a bird I was likely to see. I am definitely going to have to study my raptors before going to Spain again.

Thanks for your replies.

Well, that's a disappointment (of sorts) - given the thread title, I was expecting some excitement over a pair of white-tails in Wales - whoops.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back