• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oregon Birders on the Forum (1 Viewer)

annarufus

Hello from Southern Oregon. I am interested if there are many Oregon birders here in the Forum and what is their favorite Oregon birding area? I live in Jackson County and my favorite birding area is my yard. I am lucky enough to live in the country with hills, meadows and stream near me so there are many species of birds that are attracted here. I also enjoy birding the mountain/lake area near Howard Praire/Hyatt Lake and across to the Mt Ashland area (Cascade/Siskyou range).

Happy birding to all

Oregon Vacation

Hi, my wife and i are visiting family in Oregon in september.We will be flying into San-francisco and then driving up to Coos Bay which is where our relatives live.Can you reccommend any places "not to miss" to visit.

IVAN

Another Oregon Birder

Annarufus, I am in Scappoose, up in the northwest corner of the state. Sauvie Island is just up the road form me, as is a lesser known great birding spot - Vernonia Lake.

Ivan P, if you are visitng the Coos Bay area, might you be able to reach the location by September 1? If so, you could join in the Oregon Shorebird Festival (August 31 and September 1-2, 2007). The website for the festival field trips can be found here: http://www.fws.gov/oregoncoast/shorebirdfestival.htm. These would be the best locations to visit for birding in the area.

I am in Albany, OR. I spend most of my time on this site in the Wildlife Art forum and gallery. My favorite birding spots are the National Wildlife Refuges around the Willamette Valley - Ankeny, Basket Slough, and Finley NWR's.
Peter Mathios

If you have time, stop by the Lower Klamath Wildlife Refuge / Tule Lake. Waterfowlpalooza should be starting. Isn't this the start of Bald Eagles congregating around the Uppper Klamath? Oregonian would know.

I don't think that the eagles start quite yet, but soon. The waterfowl have started migrating though and should be showing up in force to the Klamath area. I try and make it there every Spring because the numbers are spectacular and the birds are in their breeding plumage. For those who have never been, it is well worth it as is Malheur National Wildlife Refuge. There is a similar situation there except the local farm fields flood and birds are very observable all over around the town of Burns. Both places are fun experiences.

I just noticed this forum! I tend to read about local stuff on OBOL, and only ran this while browsing. I'm out between Lebanon and Scio, and find it hard to beleive there is another Linn County birder on this site! Hello Peter - see you around!

I go to Oregon State University and go pretty much anywhere. When I lived in portland I liked to go to Ridgefield, it was a very nice place to see a variety of birds.

Just returned from Oregon coast....great time....Pacific City to Cannon Beach but mainly Oceanside and area. I go to Ridgefield too but find the coast of oregon more interesting. Last week I had 50-60 sightings in a two day span...wonderful birding and the weather was in the 50-s to 60's and sunny...

I live in Lincoln County here on the Coast. We have such a diverse population of Birds, Migratory, Sea and the like. I have 70+ identifications just here within a 10mi radious of my home! Hello to all forum members in Oregon. We are a lucky group of people! Bryce...

The Oregon Forum is a lot busier than the Washington one!.... Of course, much the same state all around. Think this should be combined into the NW forum!

I live in Lane County and I go birding (with my camera) at local parks and wetlands... I feel lucky to live in a state with so many ecoregions and wildlife!

I second a NW forum because Oregon and Washington are very similar as far as states go :)

Oregon is a grand state, an so diverse. My brother-in-law and I spent the weekend in Malheur County, the far east. We recorded about 110 species in that county, plus a few more nearby. Three Forks is a spectacular place south of Jordan Valley, hard on the Idaho border. We went from there to the pine woods of Ironside Mtn in the NW part of the county. Williamson's Sapsuckers, Calliope Hummingbirds, and both Lewis' Woodpecker and Clark's Nutcracker, and lots more. Bullock's Orioles were everywhere.
More later,
Jeff

We are here in Central Oregon (Jefferson County, small town nothing haha), and we too do not need to go far outside our door either.
With both species of eagles here year round and all the hawks, osprey etc. ect. here...... The canyon (Lake Billy Chinook), is always alive with something! Then all the wilderness areas, the national grasslands... can not ask for to much more :0)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back