• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

kites and hawks i.d. please (1 Viewer)

Shell

Hello to all, I'm needing help on these i.d. 's please. Behind my house is an acre and a half of a crawfish pond (wonderful water source) and 24 acres of bare land, plowed waiting to be farmed. There were 32 birds soaring out there, and I took off with the camera to get pics of what I could. One looks like a Mississippi Kite, the other a Northern Harrier , but I only get the harrier in winter. Or could some of these darker birds be juveniles of the grey and white bird? Any advise would help - thanks !

Last edited:
If you click on 'post reply' and then go to the 'browse' button, you will then be taken to the folders of your own pc. Click on the photo you want to upload and then press 'submit reply' and, in theory, the photo should upload.

Thanks so much ! I thought I did that, maybe it didn't work becuase I previewed it 1st. I'll try it agian. Thanks.

Mississippi Kites aren't adult until 2 years old; the one-year old birds are browner, according to the pics in Sibley's North American Bird Guide. Could that be what you saw?

Michael

Hey Michael , it very well could be what was out there. I finally got the collage I did downsized and rearranged so I could put it here. Take a look if you will please.

Attachments

• kite or hawk1.jpg
    kite or hawk1.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 353
Mississippi kite looks right - grey body and wings, lighter grey head and shoulders.
Not Northern/Hen Harrier though - look for the white rump.

Yep, the ones with the brown underwings & barred tail are immature Mississippi Kites (one year, or more strictly accurate, 9-10 months, old)

Michael

Thank you Esmond. Well the kite is a lifer for me, but I have no idea about the other bird here. I'll have to do more searching. Thanks for the reply and help !!

Wow Michael , so all 32 of them were mississippi kites!! That is so neat. I've never seen so many at one time , together like that. Actually, I've just seen the Swallowtail Kite for the 1st time last week, and now these. I sure didn't know they were in groups like this. (that many in numbers at one time) Do you know why? Or do they just flock like this? Thank you SO much for the i.d. , I sure so appreciate this !!

Mississippi Kites are somewhat colonial. This group could be a migrant flock kettling to head north. We have them in kettles here in those numbers in late August/early Sept. just prior to southward migration. Great shots. I like the ones feeding in flight. If they stick around, try finding cicades, and toss them into the air, they will come down for them. Like feeding gulls or pigeons. Van

OMG!!! I Posted a description of a bird I needed help identifying in the say hello forum....And these pictures are exactly what I was describing. To top it all off I have a nesting pair within a hundred yards of a nesting pair of Red Tailed Hawks. Wierd huh?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back