• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best binocular for outer space? (1 Viewer)

ronh

Here's an interesting web tidbit I wandered upon. A photo of Soyuz 5 commander Sergei Zalyotin, tending a plant growth experiment in the Zvezda service module.
http://www.expeditionexchange.com/omega/iss005e20309.jpg
Notice the Trinovid (said to be an 8x42) velcro'd to the wall. Guess it doesn't take much to hold it in zero gravity!

There's also a Zeiss image stabilizing 20x60 on board, for those really, really, really distant shore birds and raptors.
Ron

If it's good for outer space..

I hear it's very expensive to take things up there. So if they got it there 10 years ago, it will likely stay there always.

I also saw another pic where they had a MagLite flashight, apparently one of the older incan ones. The newer LED generation is 10x brighter and draws 10x less energy but they cannot justify getting a better light out there.

I think it's safe to assume the Trinovid will outlive the space station.

I believe the first commercial binocular selected for US space flights was the Bushnell 7x26, to be employed as a secondary sighting system for Gemini (c. 1965-66). I've attached a copy of the flier distributed with the instrument. Space was truly at a premium in those days.

Attachments

• NASA 7x26.jpg
    NASA 7x26.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 214
If it's good for outer space..

I hear it's very expensive to take things up there. So if they got it there 10 years ago, it will likely stay there always.

I also saw another pic where they had a MagLite flashight, apparently one of the older incan ones. The newer LED generation is 10x brighter and draws 10x less energy but they cannot justify getting a better light out there.

I think it's safe to assume the Trinovid will outlive the space station.

Well, they call the Trinovid "The Brick" and the Shuttle, the "Flying Brick," so perhaps it could survive the space station's eventual deorbit with some shuttle tiles wrapped around the binocular and the same heat-resistant material on a flotation strap, with a pop-out parachute. Leica would have one heck of an advertising ploy if it survived.

Perhaps they can test its thermal and pressure resistance by taking it out on a space walk. :)

Since it cost $10,000 per pound to launch an object into space 10 years ago, this Trinovid is more expensive than Leica's new $5,000 spotting scope. Talk about "astronomical" prices!

Brock

Do you think that Leica would honor the replacement "Passport" warranty if they left the binocular on the space station bringing back only the part with the serial number on it claiming that the rest of the binocular burned up on reentry with the space station?|:D|
Bob

Last edited:
Although it's not a clear concept in zero gravity, you'd have to say it's sticking "up".
Ron
"Up" not a clear concept in zero gravity? Try telling that to the first Essex girl in space (phnarr, phnarr). Oops, just realised your not British Ron. Mind you, I see "Essex girl" has an entry in Wikipedia (ooer).

Guess you're right, it is possible to look well groomed in space; consider me chastised. Must add though, imagining the facial expressions of cosmonauts/astronauts responding to a new recruit setting off a can of hairspray in a spacestation in zero gravity was something I found very tickling :-O

"Up" not a clear concept in zero gravity? Try telling that to the first Essex girl in space (phnarr, phnarr).

3:)

I now have an image in my mind of an Essex Girl astronaut, pushing a little astronaut in a 'space pram', and a 'fag' in her right hand.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back