• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manfrotto MVH500AH Head (1 Viewer)

The cost of the 500AH plates is causing me to rethink buying their heads. They are giving the public a good reason not to buy them with their steep price on the plates.

I wouldn't let it put you off. I just unwrapped mine a few hours ago! Tried it with a huge 100mm scope bolted to a rock solid Manfrotto 055xprob.
Smooth as silk! No regrets whatsoever. It really is a good head and pod set up this! Thank you Santa!

As an update, I contacted Manfrotto about the high price of these plates and that our fellow birders are not buying the fabulous head due to the high price of plates. This is the answer I received back today:

Hi John

Thank you for your email.

We are aware of this high price for the plates and we are currently trying to get the pricing for this changed globally. We dont believe the pricing should be this high for the plates and should be more in line with our other products.

Please bear with us on this but thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Kind regards
S.....

As an update, I contacted Manfrotto about the high price of these plates and that our fellow birders are not buying the fabulous head due to the high price of plates. This is the answer I received back today:

Hi John

We are aware of this high price for the plates and we are currently trying to get the pricing for this changed globally. We dont believe the pricing should be this high for the plates and should be more in line with our other products.

Please bear with us on this but thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Kind regards
S.....

Good work John. Im just about to press the button on the MVH500AH so good to know. Was a bit concerned about the head with a big 100mm glass, so glad to hear you are liking it with yours.:t:

Steve

Hi John

Whatever, it's June now and the price is still the same. I just see that B&H is advertising them for $29.95 but it's the only place where they have a reasonable price. So I guess that email was just a PR matter.

That said, I have that head and it's great. But they are a bit insane with the price of the plates.

I've also been considering changing my 128-RC for an MVH500AH (having seen how smooth & balanced it is), but was dithering due to the cost of extra plates. However - just by chance googled the 500PLONG again & despite it still being shown in the £50-£60 range for most sellers it appears to be currently priced at "just" £29.95 on Manfrotto's own webstore ...

http://www.manfrotto.co.uk/video-camera-plate-500plong

So ... unless this is a bug/error on their website maybe they have reacted to complaints about the pricing of this item!

Chris A.

So I was wrong. As it happens so often, I imagined that the "we will revise that pricing" was a simple PR answer, certainly it was not.

Expensive mistake for me, I purchased a spare plate for 60 euro two weeks ago. Anyway, I am still very happy with the head and I got a very good deal when purchasing it bundled with a 190XPRO3, so no harm done.

Yay! .. at last. That's great news. Thanks for the update. Now go and get the MVH500AH. It's fabulous!

John ... original poster.

You're right ... just got my MVH500AH and it is soooo smooooth compared to my trusty old 128RC!! Just waiting for a couple of extra 500PLONG plates on order direct from Manfrotto at the new lower price to put on my longer lenses. By the way, got a good deal on the head from Camera King at £94.99 including post (took 3 days to arrive from order) ... was a bit dubious about using them given the mixed reviews, but worked out fine for me this time ... B :)

Chris A.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back