• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Still Tops In My Book... (2 Viewers)

And next week the Ultravid limited edition in English (something for your lovely wife Lee?) Racing Green and in 8 and 10x32 (50 pieces each) and 8 and 10x42 (100 pieces each).
The mono comes in red, black and silver.
Leica, the new Rainbow company;)

Jan

Hey Jan

British Racing Green is a handsome colour if not as arresting as French Racing Blue and it is certainly more tasteful than Italian Red.

Unfortunately Troubadoris is not fond of coloured binoculars of any hue so we will have to 'pass' on this one.

Lets hope Leica has more to offer at IWA than technicolour bins.

Leo

Hi Mac,

This is a limited edition item (for collectors mainly) and limited available in the totals I've mentioned.

We've ordered them because we have all the items from Leica, but I haven't seen a sample. If you want one you'll have to reach out for a Leica dealer in the US and reserve one.
Don't ask me if English Racing Green is a decent hunting green color.

Jan

Jan, thanks for the response... I'll email Leica and see if I can't get an image of one.

Would you mind posting a photo when yours appear?

Hey Jan

British Racing Green is a handsome colour if not as arresting as French Racing Blue and it is certainly more tasteful than Italian Red.

Unfortunately Troubadoris is not fond of coloured binoculars of any hue so we will have to 'pass' on this one.

Leo

Amen, to that!!

Man, I never thought I'd see the day when Mac would be interested in "boutique" binoculars.

There's no hint of the racing green Leicas online yet, but CDCLifestyle ("the luxury living resource") had nice things to say about the faux ostrich ones:

"Leica took the covers off a rather special limited edition of its high-performance compact binoculars, the Leica Ultravid 8×20 and 10×25 BL, featuring a stunning, hand-crafted trim in chestnut brown, natural calfskin with an ostrich-style embossed pattern. Whether at a concert or the opera, the racecourse or regatta, these binoculars make a particularly elegant accessory, and come with an attractive, colour-coordinated leather case with carrying strap."

Not sure if they would be a "particularly elegant accessory" for a bear hunt.

Just kidding, just kidding, Mac, but expect to pay a premium. It's a "luxury" Leica now.

Man, I never thought I'd see the day when Mac would be interested in "boutique" binoculars.

There's no hint of the racing green Leicas online yet, but CDCLifestyle ("the luxury living resource") had nice things to say about the faux ostrich ones:

"Leica took the covers off a rather special limited edition of its high-performance compact binoculars, the Leica Ultravid 8×20 and 10×25 BL, featuring a stunning, hand-crafted trim in chestnut brown, natural calfskin with an ostrich-style embossed pattern. Whether at a concert or the opera, the racecourse or regatta, these binoculars make a particularly elegant accessory, and come with an attractive, colour-coordinated leather case with carrying strap."

Not sure if they would be a "particularly elegant accessory" for a bear hunt.

Just kidding, just kidding, Mac, but expect to pay a premium. It's a "luxury" Leica now.

LOL, yeah, I'd only be interested in them if they're rubber, not leather... even then, i wouldn't pay more than black!

Henry Ford pretty well had it right early on...

LOL, yeah, I'd only be interested in them if they're rubber, not leather... even then, i wouldn't pay more than black!

Henry Ford pretty well had it right early on...

My 8x50 Trinovids used to be hard to keep track of when I used them for astronomy - they would blend right into the shadows. I definitely don't have that problem with my 8x42 Silverlines...

Mark

These days many regular guys are in touch with their sensitive inner self and not only collect boutique bins but wear 'fragrances' and 'hair products' :smoke:

Do try and keep up. B :)

Lee

Leo

Leo, from the context I take it that at some future date you may be in a position to report on a new Leica binocular, if one exists? If so, any updates and/or photos would be much appreciated.

Joe

Leo, from the context I take it that at some future date you may be in a position to report on a new Leica binocular, if one exists? If so, any updates and/or photos would be much appreciated.

Joe

Sorry Joe

I don't have access to sensitive info on new Leicas unfortunately, but if any postable info comes my way you can be sure I'll post it here.

Lee

Back to Swarovisoin being a "gimmick"... here's why I think so:

I've owned several Swarovski bin's... I liked them, and I think Swarovski is a very good company, that makes a very good product, which also happens to have the very best marketing of The Big Three, as well as the best after sale Consumer Service (something which prices Swaro several hundred dollars more than Leica or Zeiss).

They're smart in that they ignored going with the traditional black color, going primarily green instead. Then they engineered their bins with a unique open shape to make them stand out all the more. Then they give them to guides and industry people at dramatically reduced cost, further cementing the idea that guides think "they're the best."

The consumers follow along like sheep.

For me, Swarovski lost their way with Swarovision. The human eye doesn't work like the flat field of the Swarovision does, and to many of us it's an unpleasant experience. A flat field is something all mfg's know how to do, they're just smart enough to not do it (apart from a few in the Nikon lineup).

To me, it's yet another gimmick on Swarovski's part to set themselves apart from Leica and Zeiss... however this time, for many of us, it's a failure.

And their objective covers, unlike the previous SLC covers, completely suck..

YMMV.

Back to Swarovisoin being a "gimmick"... here's why I think so:

I've owned several Swarovski bin's... I liked them, and I think Swarovski is a very good company, that makes a very good product, which also happens to have the very best marketing of The Big Three, as well as the best after sale Consumer Service (something which prices Swaro several hundred dollars more than Leica or Zeiss).

They're smart in that they ignored going with the traditional black color, going primarily green instead. Then they engineered their bins with a unique open shape to make them stand out all the more. Then they give them to guides and industry people at dramatically reduced cost, further cementing the idea that guides think "they're the best."

The consumers follow along like sheep.

For me, Swarovski lost their way with Swarovision. The human eye doesn't work like the flat field of the Swarovision does, and to many of us it's an unpleasant experience. A flat field is something all mfg's know how to do, they're just smart enough to not do it (apart from a few in the Nikon lineup).

To me, it's yet another gimmick on Swarovski's part to set themselves apart from Leica and Zeiss... however this time, for many of us, it's a failure.

And their objective covers, unlike the previous SLC covers, completely suck..

YMMV.

Come on Mac, don't dress it up, tell it like it is :-O

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back