• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lightweight "normal" tripod and head (1 Viewer)

jurek

Lightweight normal tripod for scope - options?

I am looking for a slightly lighter alternative to Manfrotto tripod for a spotting scope.

1. I want a "normal" tripod, NOT so-called travelling or compact tripod. There are at least dozen models, and weight is often not mentioned.

2. I need a normal head (not a ball and joint), and to follow moving birds and point in a stable way to near vertical, watching birds in forest canopy.

3. I need a normal height.

I know that normal scope cannot be stable if very light, but there must be compromise or minimum acceptable stability. I need it not for extreme windy conditions like seawatching, and for ca. 1-2kg spotting scope, not heavy telephoto lenses.

Your budget is the critical factor.
For what it's worth I use a Gitzo GT2531 (1400 grams) with a Manfrotto 701 HDV head (830 grams). This is the minimum tripod that I consider suitable for spotting scopes.
When weight is less of an issue or it might be windy I use a Gitzo G1329 Mk2 (2.3 kilos).
I am mainly a wildlife photographer rather than observer but it constantly amazes me that people put good quality scopes on spindly little tripods and wonder why they can't see anything! I use lenses of up to 800mm (Canon don't make longer ones anymore!) and even lenses like this make fewer demands on a tripod than even mid range scopes which go to far higher magnification.
If a Gitzo is out of your price range then look at a used one - though even these are not cheap. If used Gitzo's are still too much then I would suggest a good big sturdy (used?) aluminium tripod starting with the Manfrotto 55 series as a minimum.

I don't know if they are available where you are but I have a Benro 2590 aluminum tripod that I use that weighs 3.1 pounds with a Vanguard PH-114 video head that's 19 oz even works well with my Kowa 884 unless it very windy. Good combo and less than $300.00. I am not a fan of Manfrorto tripods. I think they are too heavy and not ridged enough for the price. Induro makes some very good tripod too. The at214 or at213 are good options just about 1 1/4 pounds heavier.
Steve

I use a Manfrotto 190 CX3 3-section carbon legset and 700RC2 video head. As I recall the whole thing weighs 1864gm/66 ounces. Works great with my 82mm scope. It's about the minimum I would like to use but no complaints from me. :t:

I also have a Manfrotto 055xb aluminum and 128RC head. Now that's heavy.

Last edited:
I am looking for a slightly lighter alternative to Manfrotto tripod for a spotting scope...

Manfrotto makes a lot of different tripods (of different sizes, weights, materials)--which model are you referring to?

My lightest "normal" setup is a Manfrotto Carbon 441 (Bogen 3443) legset with Gitzo GH1720FQR head. I could have replaced the legs with another brand by now (it's an old discontinued model, but modern equivalents are available from Manfrotto), but I haven't found the Manfrotto to be inferior in any way to similar height/load capacity competitors.

--AP

Good question... Manfrotto 190DB

Please, keep thoughts coming :)

That's aluminum (aluminium), right? If you like the size and how it works, why not try the 3 section carbon fiber version of the same? It will be lighter, nicer on the hands in cold, and have better vibration damping. You also didn't specify which head you are using, but that can have a big influence on total weight. It's hard to beat the weight of my current light duty head (Gitzo GH1720FQR) for my Nikon 82ED, and I find it much more stable than the Manfrotto 700RC2 that I used previously.

--AP

Good question... Manfrotto 190DB

Please, keep thoughts coming :)

I owned a Manfrotto 190 Aluminium tripod and a friend had the carbon version. They are very nice tripods for the money but I found them a bit short (without the center column extended) and not really rigid enough for scope use, good for landscape photography though.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back