• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Faulty cf card (1 Viewer)

psilo

Recently I bought a dane elec cf card, 512mb. I used it probably about a dozen times and then I got the error message cf on my camera. Thinking the card was corrupt I tried to retrieve the image from image recovery software. Sadly doing a low level recovery all that was found was the previously deleted images. So then I thought maybe the card didnt read the images that I took. With the same software I them formatted the card to put it back to the factory settings. Switched the camera on and it worked hurray! but it was only showing 68 images left on the card which meant that it had recorded the images I had taken before. It then let me take 1 photo before coming up with an error 2 message. All the manual suggests is to format the card but that has not seemed to work. What puzzles me is why is it showing that images have been taken yet the computer and the camera info shows the card to hold 0kb?

Are you formatting using the camera? If so - get a USB card reader (worth having anyway as it makes file transfers faster) and try formatting it from the PC. Don't do a quick format (all that does is wipe the file alocation table) but a full format. If you've got something like Norton then you can also try doing a FixDisk on it.

However, you're probably better off sending it back. I've had to do this twice - never had any problems, especially after telling them that it's 'not fit for the intended purpose' and that the law says it's up to them to prove there's no fault with the card. The law also says that they pay for the postage both ways.

Not sure what u mean about formatting using the card hollis. I put the card in the computer card reader and format it using some recovery software.
I think you are right though I will send it back as it started to fail on some images before it went totally wrong.

This just how my Kingston card failed - reformat it and it was fine until the card was 1/4 full and then corrupted images. Alas reformating many times failed to cure the problem. Kingston replaced the card no problem.

Robert

Oh no and I have just bought a kingston card too as I was told that they were very good. No worries though cos it has a lifetime guarentee.
I took the faulty card back to where I got it from and they tested it. They said the tracks were off, whatever that means, though they couldnt tell me why it had happened. They too changed it no problem though :)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back