• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2016 (2 Viewers)

That's one more Siskin than I've had this Winter Chris! They normally turn up mid October, definitely long overdue. :-C

Thry're still up in the spruce plantations, reasonable cone crop on Sitka Spruce this year (though not a heavy crop, so they will be finished and moving on before too much longer at a guess).

Thry're still up in the spruce plantations, reasonable cone crop on Sitka Spruce this year (though not a heavy crop, so they will be finished and moving on before too much longer at a guess).

Some quite large flocks on the move here so hopefully just a matter of time for you!

Chris

Just about to set out on our walk this morning when we were graced by a low-level flyover of half a dozen Rooks for no. 47.

Chris

This morning seen a greenfinch and now a chaffinch both on the big old oak tree directly after my hedge.
Since some weeks several blue tits and great tits are back again and see them all day. Have always between 20 and 40 house sparrows all year.

Early winter this year - snow and sub-zero for some weeks already and very nice rewards at the feeding station. After a massive drop in Great Tit numbers over the last three winters, rebounded in style this year - even before we get to the depths of winter, current daily tally is an impressive 160 Great Tits at the feeders, plus 45 Blue Tits (this latter number over double my usual numbers for so early in the season).

Also two White-backed Woodpeckers, three Grey-headed Woodpeckers, four Middle Spots, two Blacks in the vicinity ...but strangely very few Great Spots at present (just one or two a day).

Highlight today though, while ringing at the feeding station - Great Grey Shrike swooped in, knocked a Blue Tit off a feeder, then proceeded to eat it on an adjacent stump. Ten minutes later, it flew straight into the mist net!

A Great Grey Shrike winters most years in my open meadows, but quite rarely do they wander to the feeders (set in woodland edge) ...guessing the Blue Tits et al hope it will not do so with frequency.

Attachments

• Great Grey Shrike lt 1.jpg
    Great Grey Shrike lt 1.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Twenty days to go & nothing new - but a female MERLIN just put everything to flight - including a score of Mallard, a Heron, many Redwings, Fieldfares, Woodpigeons, Stock Doves, Starlings, Collared Doves and Jackdaws.

Still one behind last years total and running out of targets for the last few weeks. Its been a good second half to the autumn for my sofa.

114 Shag
115 Song Thrush
116 Jay
117 Pink-footed Goose
118 Goldcrest
119 Snipe
120 Ring Ouzel
121 Marsh Harrier
122 Common Crossbill
123 Tree pipit
124 Reed Bunting
125 Grey Wagtail
126 Yellow-browed Warbler
127 Tawny Owl
128 Merlin
129 Brambling
130 Peregrine
131 Short-eared Owl
132 Bearded Tit
133 Little Egret
134 Sabine's Gull
135 Whooper Swan
136 Great Grey Shrike
137 Scaup
138 Little Auk
139 Leach's Petrel
140 Snow Bunting
141 Iceland Gull

From a year that keeps on giving, always hoped for but not really expecting.....flyover Woodcock at 4.30pm no.81.

Despairing over recent posts and, having reviewed what could be left for me, as I get left behind, I was amazed and elated just a minute ago as a

79: LITTLE EGRET

flew up the valley just 50mts away!!!

To those on coasts and down south this might be no great shakes but here inland and up slope it's a incredible sight.

Despairing over recent posts and, having reviewed what could be left for me, as I get left behind, I was amazed and elated just a minute ago as a

To those on coasts and down south this might be no great shakes but here inland and up slope it's a incredible sight.

You left behind??? :eek!: You've got almost twice my list, and I've got next to no chances for anything more (and certainly no chance of Little Egret!).

Snap, H. They are on the move.

Me left behind this year; you and Ken both beat me in the inland garden tally.

Well done H!....Your problem is....that you don't know when to lie down! :t:

Last edited:
34 Wood pigeon - columba palumbus
At last and just before the end of the year I have another bird for my list. A huge flock of them flew over this morning.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back