• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gilded Flicker in Mesa, AZ? (1 Viewer)

Frozen-in-MN

I'm pretty sure this qualifies as a Gilded Flicker, the red malar stripe with the yellow underneath the tail and on the wings in flight?

Looking for confirmation from someone that sees these a lot.

Both pictures taken of same bird last week in Mesa, Arizona.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Possible Gilded Flicker - Leisure World -SEAZ Apr 2013 2013-04-23 027.JPG
    Possible Gilded Flicker - Leisure World -SEAZ Apr 2013 2013-04-23 027.JPG
    176.3 KB · Views: 47
  • SEAZ Apr 2013 2013-04-23 029-poss gilded flicker.jpg
    SEAZ Apr 2013 2013-04-23 029-poss gilded flicker.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 32
Yes it looks like a very good candidate for an adult male!..believe the cinnamon ''crown'' and the paler..perhaps less contrasty bars to the back, as compared to Northern Flicker are good features.

cheers

I get at least three of these northern flickers every year with various colors. The folks at Cornell have identified them as hybrids or intergrades. According to my Sibley Guide, this is fairly common but I love collecting the photos of each one to see the difference.

Agree. The crown and back are spot on and the underwing, what I can make out from the photo, is much paler (in good views / light it's more of a lemon colour).

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back