• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gulls - Lake Constance (1 Viewer)

SAARLAND BIRDER

Seen today, on the lake (during a short holiday), in the company of 3 adult YL Gulls, and one 3cy Common Gull. Pics 1 to 3 all the of same bird - the leg colour appeared grey/pink. The bird in Pic 4 launched just as I pressed the shutter, but may prove useful for underside plumage. I suspect that they may all prove to be YL Gull (present in fair numbers here), but have a faint hope that Pics 1 to 3 show 3cy Caspian Gull. Many thanks in advance.

Mike B

Attachments

• IMG_1316_1.JPG
    IMG_1316_1.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1317_1.jpg
    IMG_1317_1.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1318_1.jpg
    IMG_1318_1.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1319_1.jpg
    IMG_1319_1.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1320_1.jpg
    IMG_1320_1.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 53
all YLG, Mike. the one in pics 1-3 has very pale irides, something rarely shown by caspian gull at this age - now for the age, it should be a 3cy (end of 2nd cycle or "second summer") but with a p10 mirror - which is really rare in michahellis! greater coverts look to be 2nd generation.

Got it Stonechat 1! I've just noticed your location - so it should then be Bodensee. But outside of our domain, I don't think Bodensee is that well known.

Many thanks Lou, I am much wiser for your help.

Mike B

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back