• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Incorrect bird names (1 Viewer)

West End Birder

had a very nice afternoon at Pennington / Keyhaven, being shown some nice yetis (YEar TIck). I enjoyed hearing the Pec Sand referred to as a Pectorial Sandpiper - as an ex plane spotter it reminded me of the brilliant 'Air Pictorial' mag I used to get in the 1970s.

Anyone got any other good mispronunciations?

One birder's wife in Worcestershire relayed a message to him that there was a Ten Inch Stint at a local reserve

Nothing like a Ten Inch Stint, priceless!

My mate's wife called it a Merganiser.

The trouble is having bastardised as few names ourselves, this is how we always refer to them now - still brightens up the day I guess.

Prothonotary Warbler as you might expect causes quite a few reading/pronunciation problems!

Many eponymous names also are problematical, especially if there's no Anglicised popular pronunciation - for example try Przewalski's Finch, Redstart, Rock Partridge, Thrush, Antpitta, Nuthatch, Parrotbill and Horse... (for most of these, see 'The Eponym Dictionary of Birds', Beolens et al, just published.

If you don't know the pronunciation rules of the original language, you have to make a guess - now Güldenstädt of Güldenstädt’s Redstart fame, has a German name, but since he was a Baltic German in what then was part of the Russian Empire, it's not easy to ascertain if his name was pronounced in the standard German way, which is difficult even in phonetic English. The first syllable vowel sound is halfway between 'oo' and 'ee', usually achieved on my part by sticking my chin forward to 'squeeze' the 'oo' sound!

For those people who are unfortunate enough to suffer from any form of word blindness, or who are functionally illiterate (The Literacy Trust puts it at 16% in England, the World Literacy Foundation says 20%), bird name pronunciation must be full of pitfalls, and scientific names must be almost terrifying, but given that context, mispronounced names are still largely a source of innocent amusement. This thread could run and run.
MJB

Scarlet Teenager - the best so far.

MJB, very interesting, thanks for that

Zitting Cisticola - agree, what was wrong with Fanny Shaped Warbler?

The trouble is having bastardised as few names ourselves, this is how we always refer to them now - still brightens up the day I guess.
Glad to hear it's not just us that do that. Woodpigeons are known as Whoosh-pigeons by me and the missus. This came about after one day when there was one on our feeders and I pronounced the name syllable by syllable so the missus could hear me over the noisy cooker extractor fan and she thought I'd said "Whoosh! Pigeon gone!" 3:)

I was asked if I'd been to see the 'Spotted Cake' this morning and, a couple of years ago, a non-birder told me they had had a 'New Thatch' in their garden ( "Looked it up on the web, and that's what it said"!)

pratting gull for pratincole

petrel sandpiper - see above

+1 for merganiser - now firmly adopted as a family name - sounds like a Japanese transformer toy

Arctics cure - arctic skua

and of course, juvenile Sabine's Gull, which should be pronounced 'Kittiwake'...

Gordon

After having received a very stern and pedantic lecture by a Yorkshire birder when birding in Majorca, we now call Purple Gallinule "purple people-eaters" and Booted Eagles "bootleg buzzards".

There's one of those property shows on television that I normally avoid like the plague, but I happened to walk into the room one day when my wife was watching (honest) and I recognised the area they were visiting in southern Spain. I visit there every autumn, so I watched for a few minutes to see what was going on.

The presenter was showing the guinea pigs, I mean co-stars, the property she was hoping they'd buy, somewhere in the hills in Malaga or Cadiz (Alcornocales or Grazelema maybe), and she was boasting the virtues, of the place, the view and its surroundings.

She touched on an example of the local wildlife they would see if they moved, a bird that frequented the area, the 'Lion Buzzard'.

"What the hell is a 'lion buzzard'? ", thought I. Something I'd never heard of. After a short while the camera lingered on a vulture and the penny dropped.

For 'Lion Buzzard', read Buitre Leonardo. That's the Spanish name for a griffon vulture.

Last edited:
Many years ago a keen distance runner stopped to ask a small group what was the attraction on his normally deserted route. He came into work and told me about the 'titchers' watching a Rhino-neck that morning.

Last edited:
I have never seen a pratincole, but my crossword / cynic head would call it an Arthur Scargill (sorry about that).

Nuthatch is nutsack when out birding and Dunnock is Duncock - no idea why just happened.

Rhinoneck - v good!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back