• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

deserted St Lucia (1 Viewer)

Goat

Have just come back from two weeks in St Lucia ( okay boast over) staying at the Jalousie Plantation. My total list of species seems to be about 10 at the most which amazed me.
The hotel is in massive grounds and so had virtually everything there. Crested and Purple throated caribs,blue heron,carib. grackle, zenaida and ground doves, a hawk which passed over once a day and a brown boobie which again flew past once a day. Also a small wader which i have not yet sorted
A four hour walk in the rain forest added one St Lucian Oriole and a warbler.

Out on a whale/dolphin watch - none seen!! - again a brown boobie and no Mag Frigates.

Any ideas as to where they all were or is this normal? On a water taxi I spotted some terns but using bins whilst traveling forward at 10knots and through about 15 degrees vertical is not easy!

I went to St Lucia in Sept 92, Le Sport hotel complex not far from pigeon island - didnt see a great deal - 3 species of hummingbird (several Green Throated, several Antillean Crested, just 1 Purple Throated), loads of Honeycreepers/Bananaquits, 1 x American Kestrel, Carib Grackles, Glossy Cowbirds, Cattle Egrets, 1 x spotted sandpiper, 1 x Semi-palmated sandpiper, 1 x Semi-palmated Plover, 1 x Lesser Antillean Bullfinch, 1 Tropical Mockingbird, 1 x Yellow Warbler, 1 x Gray Kingbird, and on a boat trip on Brigand Unicorn around the coast 1 Sooty Tern and 1 immature Magnificent Frigatebird.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back