• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some BirdFair notes (1 Viewer)

... and, oh yes, the big Meostar scope now has a proper stay on case.

Good news. I waited a year for Meopta to revise the first S2 case, but then broke down and bought it anyway. It's rather bizarre and peels off like a banana skin. I should have waited a while longer I guess.

Hey, thanks to all who have weighed in from Birdfair and elsewhere! Great reading.

David, thanks for a most thorough and informative report. It's almost as though I was there myself, especially as you checked out virtually all the binos I would have if was there.

Vanguard have been in touch to correct a couple of details. The show samples I looked at we apparently from a production run and just flown in for the show. The rest of the shipment is heading this way by boat and will be here in a few weeks. Unfortunately the £275 for the 8x32 was a show offer, it will be £330 when it hits the shelves.

David

Vanguard have been in touch to correct a couple of details ... Unfortunately the £275 for the 8x32 was a show offer, it will be £330 when it hits the shelves. David

Disappointingly strong pricing compared to the US even if including the equivalent of UK VAT :

Vanguard Endeavor ED 8x32, USD$300.00
Vanguard Endeavor ED II 8x32, USD$400.00.

Vanguard have been in touch to correct a couple of details. The show samples I looked at we apparently from a production run and just flown in for the show. The rest of the shipment is heading this way by boat and will be here in a few weeks. Unfortunately the £275 for the 8x32 was a show offer, it will be £330 when it hits the shelves.

David

They did have the retail prices listed at BirdFair along with the special offer prices. I reckon that the 8x32s are a great buy at £330, those who got them at £275 have scored a real bargain. Starting to wonder why I didn't order a pair... :-C

Hi David,

The Endeavor II already available at US. Are you sure the one you saw was a pre-production sample ? The AFOV is quite average. Any tunnel-view feel ?

Andy

Hi David,

The Endeavor II already available at US. Are you sure the one you saw was a pre-production sample ? The AFOV is quite average. Any tunnel-view feel ?

Andy

Since I looked at them too I can honestly say the FOV figures surprised me when I found them as I didn't get any 'tunnel' view feeling at all. It seems typical that those of us in the UK pay over the odds for such bins compared to the USA even given tax differences - never had a clear explanation why though. Same goes for French Champagne evidently which is (or was) cheaper in Australia than the UK! Oz Clarke made the point to a French wine maker & asked 'Why so?" and came the reply "Because that's what you Brits will pay for it!"

Hi Andy,

I was corrected on that. They were promotional samples flown in for the show. You are right that some countries have stock, but the UK's is still on a boat somewhere.

Vanguard were second last optics stand I visited on the far side of the site from the alpha guys and I'd tried a fair selection of the good the bad and the ugly on route. They just shone out as having excellent sharpness and contrast.

An Endeavour ED II 8x42 was waiting for me to play with when I got home last night. I'll have a lot more to say in due course but the edge sharpness is very good and the view doesn't feel at all tunnel like.

David

Last edited:
Hi Andy,

I was corrected on that. They were promotional samples flown in for the show. You are right that some countries have stock, but the UK's is still on a boat somewhere.

Vanguard were second last optics stand I visited on the far side site from the alpha guys and I'd tried a fair selection of the good the bad and the ugly on route. They just shone out as having excellent sharpness and contrast.

An Endeavour ED II 8x42 was waiting for me to play with when I got home last night. I'll have a lot more to say in due course but the edge sharpness is very good and the view doesn't feel at all tunnel like.

David

Thanks David. I am very interested to get a 8x32 and compare with Viper HD.

Andy

.......... asked 'Why so?" and came the reply "Because that's what you Brits will pay for it!"

Very familiar situation for us in Switzerland for lots of consumer items. At least, for many people it's not so far to cross the border and go shopping there.

David,

Thanks for taking the time to follow up on our questions. I am sure you had a full agenda of your own.

I was hoping Nikon would be more direct on the glare issues raised with the Monarch 7 30mm. Oh well.... That was an interesting statement from Nikon denying there is a problem but then saying all were being fixed under warranty. That's a head scratcher. I suspect CNick6 is correct in saying they are trying to downplay the issue. I am still undecided about getting the 8X30. The $80 instant savings is good till Sept 15 here in the States.

You mentioned that "De Putter Junior told me they had raised the issue with the manufacturer". Is that the Kite rep?

Last edited:
You mentioned that "De Putter Junior told me they had raised the issue with the manufacturer". Is that the Kite rep?

He's the son of the owner founder and owner George de Putter. Unfortunately I don't know his first name.

David

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back