• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7X Zen-Ray ED3, Sightmark Solitude XD or??? (1 Viewer)

Stephen Mark

I want a good under $500 7X roof prism binocular. I have spent a couple of weeks trying various porros and don't like the feel. These two seem the most likely candidates but I am wide open to other suggestions. Also these will live in the trunk of my car and won't be my main birding binoculars. I don't expect them to be as good as my Kowa Genesis but I would like to get as close to the Kowa's optics as I can.
Thanks
Steve

I want a good under $500 7X roof prism binocular. I have spent a couple of weeks trying various porros and don't like the feel. These two seem the most likely candidates but I am wide open to other suggestions. Also these will live in the trunk of my car and won't be my main birding binoculars. I don't expect them to be as good as my Kowa Genesis but I would like to get as close to the Kowa's optics as I can.

Steve, you probably should have posted this in the main forum to get more traction but I would also consider the Vanguard Endeavor ED II 8x42 (or even the 8x32 if you need a compact model):

http://www.vanguardworld.com/index.php/en/os/products/hunting-outdoor/detail-2-10-274-1153.html

The lifetime warranty is a big plus too.

Steve,

Low priced good 7x binoculars are hard to find anymore.

There is the Leupold 7x42 Hawthorne but I don't know anyplace that sells it. Eagle Optics looks like it is dropping the Leupold line and Camera Land does not list the Hawthorne line. The Leupold website still lists it. Suggested retail is $439.99.

http://www.leupold.com/observation/binoculars/hawthorne-binoculars/

I own an earlier version of it. It is the BX-2 Cascade model made in Japan. The Hawthornes are upgraded versions of this one. The only differences seem to have been making the optics FMC (Fully Multi Coated) and slightly changing the designs on the exterior covering. The BX-2 Cascades were Multi-Coated.

I've never tried the Hawthorne but my BX-2 model is very good. It is sharp, bright and well made. Eye Relief is a long 18mm. FOV is 388.5' @ 1000yards. Retail price for mine at Eagle Optics was $229.99 in 2011. I used it as a car binocular for almost a year and had no problems with it. I still have it and it still works fine. I think I'll throw it in the car again for the Hawk migration season.

Bob

Last edited:
Hi Steve,
I think you would enjoy the Meopta Meopro 6.5x32 binoculars. It has close to a 5mm exit pupil that will be good in most levels of light. I looked through it in a sporting goods store and it seemed great. I used to have the ZenRay 7x36 version one. For some reason it large field of view did not suit me. It seemed stretched and made me think of the view from the Pentax roof DCF 8x42 (the old version from the '90's. ) Yes, that one was expensive in its day. It did fit my face, but it just did not thrill me. That is strange for me, since I love the 9x version (Zenray 9x36ED) I will eventually try out the Zenray7x36ed again in the future.

I have the ZR7x42ED2 and I love it. I consider it a specialty glass. It is heavy as a full size binoculars. I consider it fully equal to the Zeiss 7x42 Classic which I have never looked through. It is just that sweet. The engineering in the optical glass eyepieces is particular to make it have a good wide view. I like to see the field stops that frame the view. In the ZR 7x42ED2, the field stops kind of go out of focus, as you enjoy the good colorful well corrected view. It allows you to see color longer in the twilight, like most 7x42's.

I picked up for my collection a Minox BD 7x42. It is well done with aspheric lenses. (no ED glass) This is the discontinued version. I love to get good glass at a discount. It has a good size sweet spot and the view is low in that rolling ball presentation of the view. I think it was the most serviceable 7x42 I had ever had before the new ED marketing came out.

Everybody speaks of the Leupold Hawthornes 7x42 is every bit as good or better than the Minox. It has more modern coatings.

From my guess that you want a car bin, I think it should be lighter than most full size binoculars. That is why I think you might like that Meopta MeoPro 6.5x32 or the ZR 7x36. Both keep a good size exit pupil that would let you see in most levels of light. The Meopta would be the lighter one.

I have never used the Sightmark binoculars. I thought that the Swift Eaglet 7x36 had a slightly less wide field of view. They put a lot of good details in its construction. Also never used.

Rob.

Another that you may wish to consider is the Celestron Granite 7x33. It is lightweight, bright and has a very wide field of view. I tried one of these even after a poster on this forum loudly complained about excessive CA. I did not see it and I am very glad that tried it in spite of that review. I can find CA if I really try to see it but I have no intention of doing that. This binocular compares to the others that you have mentioned and can be bought for about $300. Jim

I would highly recommend the 7x43 ED3. The biggest faults I have with them are quality control concerns (the outer portion of the focus-knob fell off of mine) and weak edge performance. However, they present a wide, bright, clear, and sharp view. Also, their customer service department actually stands behind their product and warranty, and will work with you to ameliorate issues you may have.

The 7x42 Leupold Hawthorne and 6.5x32 Meopta Meopro would probably be my recommendations for cheaper and lighter ~7x binos, but those are based only upon other's recommendations and my experiences with those brands as a whole.

Justin

Thanks for the help all.I really hate CA so the hawthorns are out and the Meopta 6.5X32 have been discontinued. I have PMed Charles and when I get his input (sometime after Labor Day) I think I will order what he recommends and the Sightmark and see If either one is a keeper. If I don't like the first Zen-Ray I may try the second or I may give up the whole idea. There just aren't as many choices of 7X bins in North America as there are in Europe and our choices here seem to be shrinking rapidly.
Steve

I also like this new offering of the low dispersion glass in binoculars. It has been a revolution in the Binoculars industry. They have convinced me that I need to have the new type of binoculars! I hope that I see colors better! I sure see the world better, and with more color! It is a new palette, an enjoyment of the world, like seeing paintings in a museum!
Rob.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back