• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help With Owl Identification (1 Viewer)

Hi.

I'm afraid I don't know very much about owls, and I'm having real problems in trying to identify one I saw yesterday. Previously, I had only ever seen Barn Owls.

The location was in fields at the edge of woodland, very close to Hornsea Mere in East Yorkshire. Hornsea Mere is a large natural lake, with marshy reed beds around its perimeter.

The owl flew out of large bushes/hedgerow, then landed in the closest tree only a short distance away. I watched it through binoculars for a fair time, and it stared back at me intently as I did so.

I would estimate it to be maximum c. 30cm in length - quite possibly even smaller, and appeared to definitely be quite a dark grey in colour. I made stark mental note that the many paler markings on its plumage ran in a horizontal, as opposed to vertical direction. These were very distinctive. Although I am not 100% on this point, I also believe that its eyes were predominantly yellow, as opposed to dark, like a barn owl. I think it also had a dark ring around its face.

I thought I would have no problems identifying it immediately, but it has become a real puzzler. The only two possibilities would seem to be either a Tawny or a Short-Eared, but no pictures I have seen of either really seem to match this owl at all - and I have looked at a lot.

After a few minutes, the owl flew out of the tree, skimmed very close to the ground, then landed in the next tree some distance away.

Any suggestions anyone might be able to offer would be very gratefully received.

Thanks.

I have just looked at some pictures of a few Little Owls, and it most certainly could be. There are very striking resemblances.

It was most definitely much, much smaller than any Barn Owl I have ever seen. Would this most likely rule out a Tawny or Short Eared? I'm perhaps displaying my ignorance here, but I thought it might possibly be a young one?

It sounds as though it was almost certainly a Little Owl, then.

The very distinctive grey/white flecked plumage, small size, habitat, and daytime activity all seem to match the profile.

Thanks again.

Little Owl has a very distinctive dipping flight. SEO's have very long wings and a level floating flight. Little Owl looks a bit like a furry football on legs. Much rounder in profile than the others. Tree or post hopping is something that I have seen them do a lot as they look for ground dwelling insects or worms.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back