• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rufous (1 Viewer)

Gail salik

I have had an Anna's male and a rufous male overwinter here this year. I was surprised at the Anna's, as I rarely get them here , so it was a pleasant surprise. It has since disappeared, but another male Rufous has made his presence known, let the Battle of the Feeders begin :)

The Anna's:
IMG7919-L.jpg

The Rufous:
IMG3152-L.jpg

I am not too too far from you and have had Anna's wintering over for a few years with reports coming out of Nanoose in the news for years.
I have never seen a Rufous stay and am surprised to hear about that one.

I got my first Rufous of the year last night. The Annas have been bathing most of the winter as well as feeding and sheltering from the heavy winds, in the yard.

Here's something that might interest you, in Port Alberni. They are looking for volunteers.
http://www2.canada.com/albernivalleytimes/news/story.html?id=af7c0bca-61c2-4b66-9f43-9f3e246f3020

"Anna's hummingbirds have also been spotted in Port Alberni, although they are less common here.

As Prince explained, one of the amazing things about hummingbirds is their homing instinct. They return to virtually the exact spot every year.

The rufous hummingbird mates and breeds here, then heads south again in the late summer, making the same incredible journey each and every year.

Recent statistics suggest there are 58% fewer hummingbirds coming to Canada than 30 years ago. The hummingbird network is trying to learn more about why this might be happening by learning which areas support high hummingbird populations and what their seasonal pat-terns are, along with other vital anatomical information about individual birds."

Some interesting local reading from Port as well. They mention Gabriola, and other islands too in this news letter.
http://rpbo.org/newsletter/HummingbirdNewsletterSpring2011.pdf

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back