• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Most Beautiful Binoculars in the World (1 Viewer)

Here are my "Seven Beauties" (great movie, too). Well, five beauties, maximum upload, continued on second post. <B>

I do like your selections, in fact the the Swarovski EL & Zeiss HT are already in my gallery. The Minox APO HG is also a beauty as indeed I personally think are most of their new bins -as you can see I already have a couple of theirs on the list.

As for the pic of the Nikon's you posted ... they are really nice, but perhaps the user is even more beautiful?

I don't own one yet, but how about this? A triumph of design and way ahead of its time, AND its a 7x42!....

The Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 definitely makes me go WOW! What a Beauty.

I think one thing that has already come out of this thread is just how many still like the look of the older designs, so perhaps I should create another gallery just for discontinued or even vintage models?

Only North Korean binoculars are designed for this sweet one handed hold. And check out the gold objectives.

h59C5057D

Hello James,

Of course, any 8x30 Porro is going to resemble a Zeiss Jena 8x30, although I think the finish may be a step up, on the Austrian glass.

Arthur
Agree about the finish, but dissagree about appearance, the Zeiss (West) has a wide and relatively shallow prism housing which in car terms is like comparing a sexy sports car to a saloon (sedan). No comparison, the Zeiss 8x30B porro looks so much better than most if not all other porros.
Just wondering is the Nilon 8x30 E1 similar, but without the pedigree?

Last edited:
The Nikon Titanium series in 5x15 and 7x15 is quite attractive. I recollect it won an industrial design award over in Japan.

media.nl

Last edited:
This one gets my vote.

Just kidding. Actually I just googled "ugly binoculars" to find it. I don't even know what it is. Sorry, but I think porros are mostly uglier than roofs. They generally look like improvised contraptions. Some kind of steampunk thing. If that's your style...have at it. ;)

Mark

Attachments

• 12-60x70+Zoom+Escape+Binoculars.jpg
    12-60x70+Zoom+Escape+Binoculars.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 134
I have to agree with you, although I think those Minox porros on Chirundu's list are pleasingly crisp and stylish.

Ron

Agreed on the Minox. I almost bought the Minox 10x44 BD BP BT BLT BS B...what? back when they were closing them out. The narrow FOV kept me from doing so. I kind of regret it though.

Mark

........It also got me thinking rather than the wow factor as I look through a bin, I sometimes just look at a binocular and go WOW!

To me, that is clearly the Leica Ultravids 8x20 and 10x25. But not the one you selected, rather the all black versions.

Of the porros, it's Leupold Yosemite 6x30 or 8x30, in their original design.

I love clear lines that have no major interruptions. Thus no bi-colored ones, for example. And no lady-bug dots either. Add to this the feel they convey, even when one only looks at them. Thus no irritating (to the touch) ribs of any kind. Without handling such ribbed models, I already feel irritated just by thinking how non-smooth they must feel.

Last edited:
A sample of (2) Different styles- for different folks.

Both have different lines and to me are beautiful in their own way. I do like the aesthetics of the EL/SV binoculars along with the traditional Habicht's.

P1020831_zps74a07f9a.jpg

A sample of (2) Different styles- for different folks.

Both have different lines and to me are beautiful in their own way. I do like the aesthetics of the EL/SV binoculars along with the traditional Habicht's.

P1020831_zps74a07f9a.jpg

stephen b: I agree with your view on both binos as being beautiful--I would probably throw in the EL 42 & EL 50 SVs in as well! :t:

Stephen B's excellent photograph demonstrates the aesthetic differences between porro and roof prisms. I think it also demonstrates the smooth and silky styling of the roof prism giving them overall advantage in the beauty competition.
On reflection there are also significant differences between the European (Z) stying and the American (B) porro prism styling. I remember the popularity of the Swift Audabon 8.5 x 44 amongst UK birdwatchers in the 1970s. The smooth flowing body coupled with a large focussing wheel between the bridge hinges, produced an aesthetically attractive binocular.
I own and use the Classic Zeiss 7x42 and 10x40 but would never describe the 7x42 as "beautiful", the 10x40 IMO is much better looking. Since the 10x40 Dialyt I don't think Zeiss have produced a nice looking binocular until the new HD and HTs. I could almost describe them as "sexy" but won't (see post above)!

Sorry, but I think porros are mostly uglier than roofs. They generally look like improvised contraptions.

I agree with you. The Nikon SE is beautiful to an engineer thanks to the high quality finish, but probably not to ordinary people.

Most Swarovskis bins are rather attractive, clearly they take care to make them look nice. The old Trinovids are not bad either.

Stephen B's excellent photograph demonstrates the aesthetic differences between porro and roof prisms. I think it also demonstrates the smooth and silky styling of the roof prism giving them overall advantage in the beauty competition. .......................

I can't agree here. Certainly both are "made up" well and have achieved a "look" that woman with less than classic beauty work at to achieve. And who better to understand this than Swarovski AG which specializes in Fashion Accessories among many other things!

Basically the porro prism binocular has always been, since it's inception, a "contraption" limited in design by the laws of Optics.

The one porro prism binocular that pushed the boundaries of the design is the Nikon EII which with it's oversize prisms enrobed in curvacious prism housings gave the porro's usual squat utilitarian looks a kind of sensuous, Rubenesque beauty, which while adding to it's visual appeal, actually improved it's optical performance!

The open bridge redesign of the roof prism binocular did nothing like this. If anything it became more than a look; it became a statement! A demand: "Look at me, I am different!" It catches ones eye in a Tammy Faye Bakker sort of way.

The newly redesigned Zeiss Victory is different and good looking. Less than beautiful but nevertheless handsome in a Bauhaus utilitarian sort of way!:t:

Bob

Last edited:
I much prefer the look of porro's with their classic lines and I much prefer their view. I get this one next week. I also have the 10x42 version under the Leupold Cascade name. Superb value and to me beautiful lines. The Opticron 8x42 HR WP. A waterproof internal focusing state of the art porro that will outperform almost any roof with spectacular 3D images and crystalline clear razor sharp views.

Attachments

• 1055_HRWP.jpeg
    1055_HRWP.jpeg
    48.1 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Oh Denis I thought you were like Emperor Nero, an "arbiter of style".
I own both East and West German Zeiss 8x30 porros and both are better looking than the Habicht.
The CZJ 8x30 was probably the template for the style of the Habicht model but why the ugly exposed screw heads on the bridge absent from the CZJ?
Unfortunately I asked my wife which she thought the better looking and she chose the CZJ rather than the West German Zeiss. I can't argue about her taste because years ago in the tap room of "The Murgatroyde Arms" was displayed this notice. "Never criticise your wife's judgement. Look who she married".

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back