• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please Confirm Rufous Necked Laughing Thrush - Sanya, Hainan Island, China (1 Viewer)

ChinaBirds

Nick Sismey
Hi Mike,
Further to your PM please see the photos of what I thought was a Rufous Necked Laughingthrush seen in Sanya on Hainan Island in China. Would appreciate your and anyone else’s comments please?

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Nick

Attachments

• LT1.JPG
    LT1.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 199
  • LT2.JPG
    LT2.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 205
  • LT3.JPG
    LT3.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 155
  • LT4.JPG
    LT4.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 181
Tim Allwood said:
Hi Nick

you're correct

nice birds - as are all laughers!

I hope to see some RN Laughingthrushes in April, in Arunachal Pradesh.

Thanks Tim,
Good luck in Arunachal Pradesh

Cheers
Nick

Hi Nick,

Certainly appears to be a Rufous-necked Laughingthrush. Was this on Hainan? If so, it could be a very interesting record, according to MacKinnon & Robson this species only occurs in the foothills of the Himalaya. In China it is restricted to Yunnan Province (where I have seen it), this could indicate the bird as an escape, though there has been several recent surveys on Hainan that may have recorded the species?

Interestingly the bird shows extensive white to the forecrown and a very bright blue crown, I assume this is down to individual variation.

James Eaton said:
Hi Nick,

Certainly appears to be a Rufous-necked Laughingthrush. Was this on Hainan? If so, it could be a very interesting record, according to MacKinnon & Robson this species only occurs in the foothills of the Himalaya. In China it is restricted to Yunnan Province (where I have seen it), this could indicate the bird as an escape, though there has been several recent surveys on Hainan that may have recorded the species?

Interestingly the bird shows extensive white to the forecrown and a very bright blue crown, I assume this is down to individual variation.

Hi James,
Yes this was very much on Hainan, I have been down to Sanya many times, this was the first time I had done so much birding there though. This was one of a family of around five birds working their way along the forest floor. I was suprised as anyone to see them, I was just pleased to be able to get the photo's I did. This was also why Martin in Hong Kong wrote to me he thought they may be the Hainan version of the Black Throated Laughingthrush.

All five birds were very similar to this one

Cheers
Nick

ChinaBirds said:
Hi James,
Yes this was very much on Hainan, I have been down to Sanya many times, this was the first time I had done so much birding there though. This was one of a family of around five birds working their way along the forest floor. I was suprised as anyone to see them, I was just pleased to be able to get the photo's I did. This was also why Martin in Hong Kong wrote to me he thought they may be the Hainan version of the Black Throated Laughingthrush.

All five birds were very similar to this one

Cheers
Nick

Nick, just done some more research....the bird is a Black-throated Laughingthrush, zooming in on the final photo the ear coverts are clearly paler (brown) and the belly is greyish, extending to the undertail coverts, Rufous-necked would show rufous here.

My initial comment regarding crown would fit too. This is a little-known form as the field guides do not illustrate this species (ie MacKinnon).

MKinHK has seen this form so I'm sure he will confirm

Last edited:
MacKinnon claims to show the Hainan race monachus, but the description doesn't fit the plate (but it does fit these photos). Seems I should put some more notes in that book?

Xenospiza said:
MacKinnon claims to show the Hainan race monachus, but the description doesn't fit the plate (but it does fit these photos). Seems I should put some more notes in that book?

me too... the illustration in Mackinnon is clearly at odds with the birds' appearance

This bird is definitely monachus Black-throated Laughingthrush - a race that is endemic to Hainan and looks like a very good candidate for a full split.

There is a pic taken by my friend John Holmes on theOriental Bird Images website.

Like your pic it shows the white on the forecrown very clearly.

Monachus is widely distributed in Hainan. I've seen in in mangroves at Dongzhaigang close to Haikou in the far north and in good montane forest at Bawaling in the SW. Not sure if there are other images of this taxon, so a very nice one to capture!

Cheers

Mike

Last edited:
Hi Nick,

It's a Black-throated Laughingthrush (Garrulax chinensis monachus ), the Hainan race.

I think in MacKinnon's guide, the plate of Garrulax chinensis monachus(the one just show the head) is correctly Garrulax chinensis lochmius, and the plate of Rufous-necked Laughingthrush(Garrulax ruficollis) is Garrulax chinensis monachus. But the real Rufous-necked Laughingthrush havn't been shown on this book.

As to these four Laughingthrushes in China, White-necked Laughingthrush(Garrulax strepitans), Grey Laughingthrush(Garrulax maesi ), Rufous-necked Laughingthrush(Garrulax ruficollis ) and Black-throated Laughingthrush(Garrulax chinensis) are do really similar birds with very near kindred for each other.

As earlier opinion, 2 races(Castanotis, Varennei) of Garrulax maesi were included in Garrulax ruficollis and later in Garrulax strepitans.

They'are absolutely difficult to distinguish especially in Hainan where have many particular races.

Some races of these laughingthrushes were list below, maybe there would be some help to you.

Rufous-necked Laughingthrush(Garrulax ruficollis), was photoed by my friend in Yunnan
http://www.kmbirder.org/bbs/attachment/Mon_0605/4_2_4002d8f2248ebad.jpg

Grey Laughingthrush(Garrulax maesi castanotis), catched in Bawangling, Hainan
http://www.wwfchina.org/birdgallery/bpic/11435566102.jpg

Black-throated Laughingthrush(Garrulax chinensis monachus), Dongzhaigang, Hainan
http://www.wwfchina.org/birdgallery/bpic/11320317255.jpg

Absolutly, your photos are extremely great :)

Cheers
Wei Qian

Last edited:
Thanks all for your great help. I guess I should reduce my 2007 bird count by one then, as I also saw Black Throated Laughinghthrushes in Hong Kong and so can't at the moment, as they are not a split count them as different birds to the ones in Sanya?

Cheers
Nick

What did Nigel Collar propose for monachus in his recent paper splitting lots of Asian babblers? I don't have a copy to hand.

MKinHK said:
What did Nigel Collar propose for monachus in his recent paper splitting lots of Asian babblers? I don't have a copy to hand.

Mike,
He didn't treat the species in the article. Must be part of the other "partial" revision. By indirect inference, from Pennhallurick's site, where Craig Robson's Timaliid revisions have already been supposedly inserted, the race has been left with chinensis, but nuchalis has been split, as it was in the Ripley Guide. We may have to wait for the possible flurry of published papers just prior to the upcoming Vol. 12 of HBW, that will treat these birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back