• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pipit with grey nape seen in Norfolk 11-2-07 (1 Viewer)

I reckon its a Water Pipit edging towards Summer plumage. Although the grey nape seems to dissapear in the last two pictures, so it may be something to do with light, or the photo.

My best guess is Meadow Pipit. They are very variable plumage-wise. The strength and sharpness of the flank stripes and head structure (weedy bill) are the key features for me. Also the mantle pattern and face pattern.

Agree with others. Have seen many variable Meadows, and this bird fits within that variation. Recent discussions about a bird in Cambs, claimed and photographed as a Water Pipit, was later confirmed as a Meadow with a grey nape.

I think I probably agree. The 'warmth' in the feathers (except the nape) is what I normally see as the best Meadow Pipit feature, and its present here. Was just the eyebrow and, obviously, the grey nape that had me.

I agree with Meadow Pipit. Take away the grey nape - there´s your Meadow.

Consider the the upperpart pattern on Water and Buff-bellied Pipt just to mentoin one character.

JanJ

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back