• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pipit (San Francisco)? (1 Viewer)

adampaul

I believe in God, only I spell it N.A.T.U.R.E. - F
Hi Folks,

I saw the attached fellow yesterday at Gallinas Ponds in Marin County, about 40 miles north of San Francisco, California. I immediately recognized that it is not a bird that I recognize :)

It was standing on some rocks on a shoreline, along with some GC & WC Sparrows, and darted into the air much like a flycatcher, as if it was trying to catch insects (although nothing else about it says flycatcher to me).

Looking through Sibley, the only group that jizzes right to me is Pipits, most like an American Pipit, but I'm completely unfamiliar with Pipits, so I could well be off-base. Seems too elongated and sleek for any sparrow or flycatcher, bill's very wrong for finch, obviously not swallow, too small for most others (it was a little larger, and a good deal longer, than the nearby sparrows).

Along with general impressions, the long legs & toes, streaking, and white edges on otherwise black tail (more visible in flight than in these photos) all strongly suggest Pipit to me.

What do you think? These photos are all of the same individual.

Best,
_Adam

Attachments

• CRW_4524.jpg
    CRW_4524.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 169
  • CRW_4533.jpg
    CRW_4533.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 167
  • CRW_4534.jpg
    CRW_4534.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 202
  • CRW_4536.jpg
    CRW_4536.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 185
  • CRW_4538.jpg
    CRW_4538.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 178
It's a pipit, that's for sure, but as I'm not familiar with American birds I don't know which one, though I think there's not much choice over there.

Thanks Andrew, Nick and wrexile!

According to Sibley's deskref we have just 3 Pipits in the US: Sprague's, Red-throated, and American, although the ABA's checklist lists a few more: Tree, Olive-backed, and Pechora.

Either way color me happy - it's a tick for me :)

Thanks again,
_Adam

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back