• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anonymous warblers in Suffolk for ID (1 Viewer)

Megaquetzal

Had a trip to Westwood Marshes, Suffolk today. Came across these warblers frolicking with some sedge warblers in a wild rose bush (surrounded by Norfolk reeds). Any ideas? Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1355 mod.jpg
    IMG_1355 mod.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 498
  • IMG_1337 mod.jpg
    IMG_1337 mod.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 325
I think that what you have there is a Garden Warbler. Distinctive for having absolutely no distinctive features whatsoever.

Pic 1
Marsh imm.aut?? - What I see cf. reed is: roundish head, short blunt bill, pale 'bottom' edge to prim.coverts (along the flanks), dark edge to less.coverts, darkish 'tips' to prim.coverts quite prominent, darkish patches on scaps, yellowish tinge to upper legs/elbows

Pic 2 (edit) - seems to have very long prim.proj and less distinctive features (but pic looks weird anyway?)

:egghead: o:D

Last edited:
So in conclusion, 1 is a Garden Warbler, 2 is a Reed Warbler.

If you look at the position of the eye in relation to the head shape, in 1 it is directly below the peak (highest part of the head), in 2 it is only half way up the slope of the forehead, so clearly two different birds.

MSA said:
So in conclusion, 1 is a Garden Warbler, 2 is a Reed Warbler.

If you look at the position of the eye in relation to the head shape, in 1 it is directly below the peak (highest part of the head), in 2 it is only half way up the slope of the forehead, so clearly two different birds.

on that basis, wouldn't pic 1 be a reed or imm.marsh, and pic 2 be a garden - agree they are two different birds!

Hi everybody

Sorry to contradict everybody on the first pic but I do see a dull Chiffchaff here. The first and most important point is the bill, that is short, straight and quite massive instead of a long, curved and thickness-decreasing bill for a Reed Warbler. The general position is wrong too, a Reed Warbler in this posture would have either an erected crown instead of this smooth phylloscopus-like cap, or a "flatter" angle between forehead and bill. Apart from that, the supercilium extends behind the eye, and the head relative to the body (especially belly) looks too small for Reed warbler but ok for Chiffchaff. But I agree either this bird is very dull at that time of the year, or the picture does not reflect its true colors due to lack of brightness.
So now, it is time for you to slaughter me...
Regards

Guillaume

passavy said:
Hi everybody

Sorry to contradict everybody on the first pic but I do see a dull Chiffchaff here. The first and most important point is the bill, that is short, straight and quite massive instead of a long, curved and thickness-decreasing bill for a Reed Warbler. The general position is wrong too, a Reed Warbler in this posture would have either an erected crown instead of this smooth phylloscopus-like cap, or a "flatter" angle between forehead and bill. Apart from that, the supercilium extends behind the eye, and the head relative to the body (especially belly) looks too small for Reed warbler but ok for Chiffchaff. But I agree either this bird is very dull at that time of the year, or the picture does not reflect its true colors due to lack of brightness.
So now, it is time for you to slaughter me...
Regards

Guillaume

Hi Guillaume

re: Pic 1

I agree about the bill, and your comments on the shape of the head, which is why I would prefer an imm. marsh for no. 1 - However, IMO the eye-ring is just too prominant for a chaff and although it wouldn't be very unusual, for a chaff to have such pale legs, but yellow feet too ?

It's all a learning curve :bounce:

Last edited:
Hi Deborah

I did see the pale color of the back of the legs and feet and wondered a little about Willow Warbler, but neither my memory or my Svensson told me anything about these legs...
Thanks for this info, it might be useful to identify one day my first Marsh warbler, quite elusive in center France
Rgds

Guillaume

passavy said:
Hi Deborah

I did see the pale color of the back of the legs and feet and wondered a little about Willow Warbler, but neither my memory or my Svensson told me anything about these legs...
Thanks for this info, it might be useful to identify one day my first Marsh warbler, quite elusive in center France
Rgds

Guillaume

Blimey no - I was only offering an opinion! I meant it's all a learning curve for ME!!!!! :'D :gh:

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back