• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery Phylloscopus (1 Viewer)

Jane Turner

I got really quite close to this one.. its my hand in the photos. This bird is officially unidentified. I have some very strong suspiscions though. It was caught on the West coast of England in late spring.

Curious to hear what you would make of it.

Attachments

• phyllosc.JPG
    phyllosc.JPG
    11.1 KB · Views: 304
  • phyllosc1.JPG
    phyllosc1.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 360
Looks a little like a Radde's but if it was trapped I presume biometrics eliminated that. Birds always look different in the hand anyway so maybe it's a "funny" chiffchaff. Don't really know but would not-very-confidently go for Radde's.

Ah! I just don't know. I guess this must be the proverbial worst case scenario for a ringer since in order to ring a bird you have to identify it first as I seem to remember from some ringing I did years ago. So this remained unringed?

With all that Yellow I'd guess Iberian chiff - that's one hell of a supercillium it has!!

I don't suppose it was in the mood for singing was it!

Darrell

Hi Jane,
I'd also suspect Iberian Chiffchaff,especially since you point out that it was only a race at the time!
Know that wing formula etc can be used to seperate them in the hand,but perhaps the differences weren't known at the time?
Harry H

Toss-up between Dusky and Chiff on these views, with slight preference for Dusky on the brightness of the supercilium and black eyestripe. The hint of a paler rump is a bit baffling. Not Radde's, with that slender, dark bill. What colour legs?

Michael

Edit - the additional info about it being just a race hadn't been added when I wrote the above

Last edited:
It sung like a good 'un. No recording though! In 1990 there was no need to record them!

I think the bridging super is a good feature...but no one seems to have nailed features for this species.

Here are some alternative pics of it!

Shows how long-tialed it looked and how non-dingy it was underneath... hoever the lemon streaking is not resolved in the pic.

Attachments

• IC1.JPG
    IC1.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 208
  • IC2.JPG
    IC2.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 259
  • ic3.JPG
    ic3.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 195
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back