• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Giving Nikon Service a Chance (1 Viewer)

coolhand68

I usually send my binoculars for service to Suddarth or Nicolas Crista, who each perform excellent service. Yesterday I shipped off a pair of my old Nikon 7x35 E which needed a good cleaning and collimating. I'm keeping my fingers crossed hoping they come back as well serviced as some of the independents such as Suddarth, whose work is excellent. I'll be sure and post updates to this thread once I get them back from Nikon.

One thing I thought was odd, I had called Nikon about ordering some replacement rubber eyecups for my 8x32 SE and they told me I can no longer order them to install myself. I had to ship the binoculars to them for them to replace the eyecups. Is this something new, because a couple of years ago I was able to order them myself.

I usually send my binoculars for service to Suddarth or Nicolas Crista, who each perform excellent service. Yesterday I shipped off a pair of my old Nikon 7x35 E which needed a good cleaning and collimating. I'm keeping my fingers crossed hoping they come back as well serviced as some of the independents such as Suddarth, whose work is excellent. I'll be sure and post updates to this thread once I get them back from Nikon.

One thing I thought was odd, I had called Nikon about ordering some replacement rubber eyecups for my 8x32 SE and they told me I can no longer order them to install myself. I had to ship the binoculars to them for them to replace the eyecups. Is this something new, because a couple of years ago I was able to order them myself.

Apparently it is, because I bought a pair of eyecups for my SE last year, but now that the SE series has been discontinued, I guess they are no longer selling parts à la carte but only with a repair order.

Brock

Got them back today. They were cleaned, lubed and collimated. Still a trace amount of grit I can hear under the eyepiece when I turn and focus. I was still able to wipe some dust and dirt smudges from around and under the eyepiece, not the most thorough cleaning. The rubber eyepiece cups were worn a little and I forgot to ask that they replace them. It would have been nice if they took the initiative to just swap them out anyway. I would have paid the cost. Not a deal breaker, overall I am pleased with the service and all work was covered under warranty, no cost to me except for the initial cost of shipping them to Nikon. Not bad.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back