• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice on Flash and better beamer (1 Viewer)

govindrv

Govind
Hello all,

This is such a wonderful forum about birding and bird photography. May its tribe grow. Reading thru tons of review here is what encouraged me to trade in my 100-400L and go in for the 400mm f/5.6 lens. I'm not disappointed. Its a fantastic lens.
Now for my questions:
a) I feel that a flash ideal for bird low light situations with this lens. Do correct me if I'm wrong. What would be the reach with a flash only.

b) What flash would you recommended for this lens. The bodies I use are:
a) 1d Mark2
b) 550d
I'm on a budget and would like to go in for a 3rd party brand. The canon one is expensive.

c) Does a better beamer also help with this lens?

All advice is useful

Range of the flash with and with-out Better Beamer depends on its output power (aka guide number). The BB will boost the range by focussing the light into a smaller spot. How far a flash reaches depends also on parameters such as ISO, shutterspeed, aperture ...... No specific answer possible, just that one can assume using a BB will give ~2 f-stops more range (double the distance). Check this link for some info: http://www.naturescapes.net/docs/index.php/articles/81

The only requirement for the lens to work perfect with the BB is to be longer than, I think, 300mm. With shorter lenses the frame will show vignetting as the light spot generated by using the BB is smaller than the area covered by the lens. Still not a deal breaker if one can accept the dark corners.

Flashwise I would recommend looking for a TTL controlled flash with high speed sync. (for using higher shutter speeds than the camera's generic 1/250s), and a guide number as high as possible to max range.

I use a Sigma DG610 Super that offers above mentioned features for ~$250.
Some of the even cheaper flash guns from China (e.g. Yongnuo etc.) offer TTL control but as far as I know lack high speed sync (as does the cheaper Sigma DG610 ST). Metz is another company that offers various flash models and likelt one will meet all the requirements.

Ulli

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back