• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SX50 continuous autofocus (1 Viewer)

tarves57

Kicking myself for missing a pair of goldfinches at my feeder this morning as my camera was upstairs.

I brought it down and waited, at the ready in case they came back, but no luck.

Meanwhile, all was quiet and I could hear my camera whirring away inside, so I thought it must be the continuous autofocus and switched it off. Still whirring though.

Just thinking no wonder my Canon battery didn't last long. Is there anything else in the settings that could be switched off, that whirs and is not strictly necessary?

I wasn't using Sports mode or AV. I was in manual, with 1200mm zoom.

Kicking myself for missing a pair of goldfinches at my feeder this morning as my camera was upstairs.

I brought it down and waited, at the ready in case they came back, but no luck.

Meanwhile, all was quiet and I could hear my camera whirring away inside, so I thought it must be the continuous autofocus and switched it off. Still whirring though.

Just thinking no wonder my Canon battery didn't last long. Is there anything else in the settings that could be switched off, that whirs and is not strictly necessary?

I wasn't using Sports mode or AV. I was in manual, with 1200mm zoom.
Not sure what the whirring is if Cont AF is off - continuous AF will reduce the battery level, I also think that it can slow down AF as you have to let it find its auto AF before you can refine the AF with the shutter button.

Don't have this particular camera but could it be the image stabilization making the noise?

Peter

I think you're probably right. However, OEM batteries lasting for a long time even with full zoom most of the time, so not going to worry about it.

Still being truly amazed by the pictures coming out of this camera. Think I'm going to sell my 50D as to be honest, I can't see myself using it again.

I think you're probably right. However, OEM batteries lasting for a long time even with full zoom most of the time, so not going to worry about it.

Still being truly amazed by the pictures coming out of this camera. Think I'm going to sell my 50D as to be honest, I can't see myself using it again.
After seeing your post I listened carefully to my SX50 yesterday and could not hear any whirring whatsoever (even when in continous AF). The only sounds I could hear was the AF clunking a bit when finding focus.

I had to listen very hard to hear it the other night when I was waiting for a greenfinch to settle, and it was barely audible.

I think I heard it the first time because it was really quiet, early in the morning.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back