• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Aculon ProStaff 5 10 x 42mm Binoculars. (1 Viewer)

trw

Has anyone any experience or comments about this particular pair of binoculars.
Doea anyome know what the Aculon means.Looking at the Nikon website the Aculon binoculars are not the same as the Nikon 5 Prostaff.
The Aculon name is advertised on the Argos website and the picture is clearly that of a Nikon Prostaff binocular!
Very confusing.

The Aculon regular porro prism models have replaced the old Nikon Action range though it's not clear there have been any optical changes. These are not waterproof and have a short eye relief so generally unsuitable for spec wearers. These are very well regarded as an entry level model. The waterproof and longer ER Nikon Action EX is normally regarded as a little better.

There are currently two roof prism Prostaff models. I've not seen the 5 yet, but it lacks phase coating so will not have the brightness and contrast of the Aculons or the Prostaff 7. The better choices are the Action EX or Prostaff 7 in my opinion. Technically the Action EX offers a wider and slightly brighter view at the expense of size and weight.

Those Argos prices don't seem particularly competitive.

David

Has anyone any experience or comments about this particular pair of binoculars.
Doea anyome know what the Aculon means.Looking at the Nikon website the Aculon binoculars are not the same as the Nikon 5 Prostaff.
The Aculon name is advertised on the Argos website and the picture is clearly that of a Nikon Prostaff binocular!
Very confusing.

Aculon means either a portable breathing apparatus for divers or a homeless man with poor hygiene. :smoke:

The Argos website is wrong. Happens all the time, mix up with photos and descriptions.

I haven't seen the Aculon, but I have tried the 10x42 Prostaff 7, and I liked it. It was easier for me to hold steady than the 10x42 Monarch 5 due to the longer barrels, which allowed plenty of room to wrap my hands around. Unlike the 8x42 model, the 10x42 has a wide AFOV of 60*. The M5 seemed a bit brighter but the edge sharpness on the P7 was better.

At 10x, even a porro starts to loose depth, but it's worse with a roof. So even sight unseen, I can tell you from using Action IVs and Action EXs that the Aculon will give you a better 3-D effect and depth perception. At 10x, that might not be too important, but for me, it is at 7x and 8x.

If I were buying an 8x bin, I'd go for the porro because of the better 3-D effect and much wider FOV, but for 10x, I'd go for the P7 because of the ergonomics, edge sharpness and wide AFOV.

Brock

Last edited:
Aculon means either a portable breathing apparatus for divers or a homeless man with poor hygiene. :smoke:

The Argos website is wrong. Happens all the time, mix up with photos and descriptions.

I haven't seen the Aculon, but I have tried the 10x42 Prostaff 7, and I liked it. It was easier for me to hold steady than the 10x42 Monarch 5 due to the longer barrels, which allowed plenty of room to wrap my hands around. Unlike the 8x42 model, the 10x42 has a wide AFOV of 60*. The M5 seemed a bit brighter but the edge sharpness on the P7 was better.

At 10x, even a porro starts to loose depth, but it's worse with a roof. So even sight unseen, I can tell you from using Action IVs and Action EXs that the Aculon will give you a better 3-D effect and depth perception. At 10x, that might not be too important, but for me, it is at 7x and 8x.

If I were buying an 8x bin, I'd go for the porro because of the better 3-D effect and much wider FOV, but for 10x, I'd go for the P7 because of the ergonomics, edge sharpness and wide AFOV.

Brock

To all,

ACULON is an acronym that most likely is Accuracy Long Range if that makes sense. The website is obviously wrong. The PROSTAFF 7 is going to offer more performance from the phase coating perspective. Brock is certainly right about the depth of focus for porros, but that is minimal difference these days as products in the roof prism category are built to include more depth of focus. Concerning depth, the M5 would be a better comparison with the ACULON. My personal opinion is the M5 has better balance than the P7. Just my thoughts.

All the best,
Mike

To all,

ACULON is an acronym that most likely is Accuracy Long Range if that makes sense. The website is obviously wrong. The PROSTAFF 7 is going to offer more performance from the phase coating perspective. Brock is certainly right about the depth of focus for porros, but that is minimal difference these days as products in the roof prism category are built to include more depth of focus. Concerning depth, the M5 would be a better comparison with the ACULON. My personal opinion is the M5 has better balance than the P7. Just my thoughts.

All the best,
Mike

Mike,

I never heard this before. How are the roof prism binoculars today built to include more depth of focus?

Brock

I have seen pretty good depth of field from a few roofs. It mainly pertains to
the eyepiece design and the binoculars' power. Ultra-wides almost always have the
deepest field, but that's coincidental with the eyepiece design they have.
Extra-wides that fuzz out over half the field also don't have much depth of field, and
when opened up, have only 3 elements, and a few flat faces.

How prisms make that happen I don't know. You do need bigger prisms to
enable that, though.

I suppose I need to mention that eyepiece designs and prism types affect depth of field in OPTIC_NUT's universe, but not mine.

These factors have very striking and obvious effect, if one has a sufficient stock
of different models and uses the techniques commonly used to measure depth of field.
The differences are observable by work colleagues, family members, and shop
visitors. Who all occupy "my universe". It's a fairly large place.

If your universe contains a narrow scattering of samples with very similar powers
and all are alphas, and you use metrology that demands a 'circle of confusion'
only attainable with a tripod and brilliant illumination,
you can be forgiven for not seeing any consistent differences.

My universe is not a museum populated with Alphas and tripods.
People of moderate means walk around holding instruments in their hands, in real weather.

Anyone here could easily see the obvious difference in DOF between the worst 7x35 and the best 7x35s I have.

For a flavor of analysis beyond a two-lens system approximation, and a great example of
the use of circles of confusion, this article has some nice ray-tracing and circle plots for
an erfle eyepiece:
http://www.creol.ucf.edu/Research/Publications/1459.PDF

Measuring is a lot simpler. Pick some audience member at, say, a Thursday night antique shop
demo, have them walk in until they can't read "the quick brown fox", put a nickel down,
walk back and mark, and repeat using an super-plossl type extrawide or yosemites
using dimes to mark. Tada. For a more dramatic demo use a Galillean 7x35 for a baseline.
Can't miss.

Last edited:
Mike,

I never heard this before. How are the roof prism binoculars today built to include more depth of focus?

Brock

Hi Brock,

Great to hear from you. This is just my observation as I've reviewed products (particularly Nikons) since I have been on board in the professional optics community. I can honestly say I have no idea as to how these products are engineered, but our roof prisms have more depth of focus then when I started. Nikon certainly answered the call with the EDG binoculars by including great depth of focus on all the roof prisms in the line. Again, not sure how its done, but just my observations.

All the best,
Mike

Hi Brock,

Great to hear from you. This is just my observation as I've reviewed products (particularly Nikons) since I have been on board in the professional optics community. I can honestly say I have no idea as to how these products are engineered, but our roof prisms have more depth of focus then when I started. Nikon certainly answered the call with the EDG binoculars by including great depth of focus on all the roof prisms in the line. Again, not sure how its done, but just my observations.

All the best,
Mike

Thanks, Mike. As to how it's done, I gather from Henry's posts it's done with "smoke and mirrors." ;)

We always read from Henry and others that DOF is a fixed number for any given binocular at a certain magnification. So in theory, at least, a Nikon 8x32 SE should have the same DOF as a Nikon 8x32 Premier (LXL). I actually measured the DOF between the two, and they were close but not exactly the same. However, in my observations in the field, they appear very different, with the SE showing "superior" depth perception compared to the LXL, which gives more of a 2-D representation.

Porros, by virtue of their dog-legged prism design with wider separated barrels usually give users a better sense of depth perception than the same configuration roof. But even among roofs of the same configuration, I've perceived differences in depth.

At least part of it has to do with focuser speed. The LXL's focuser turns from close focus to infinity in less than half a turn. This creates the impression of less depth since you're focusing through the range of focus at a faster speed than with slower focusing 8x32 roofs.

So sometimes you can peg an actual, quantifiable feature to the perception of depth, or as Frank likes to call it, "apparent depth of field." Other times, it's harder to peg down.

Prof. Edz over on Cloudy Nights contends that bins with field curvature create a better perception of depth, particularly if the edges aren't completely out of focus, because the inner image will be in focus and the outer image will be slightly out of focus and with a nudge you can bring it in focus. So you're eyes are focused on two different focal planes at the same time, giving the impression of greater depth.

Other people contend just the opposite, that binoculars with field flatteners give them a greater perception of depth because they can see both the centerfield and edges in focus at the same time. More field in focus = greater depth perception. That might be what you're experiencing with the EDG.

Exit pupil size vs. your entrance pupil size, lighting conditions, eye relief, the environment your observing - dense woods vs. open field, focus speed, and probably other factors play a part in differences in depth perception among binoculars.

Then there's the actual difference in depth of field created by different magnifications. A 12x bin will give you a "slice of life" at close range whereas a 7x bin will show noticeably more depth.

Whereas actual DOF is formulaic, the perception of depth is more fluid and user dependent. So I wouldn't dismiss your observations even if they didn't match mine, because perceptions vary from person to person.

However, if you have a large enough sample group, you might get a consensus. If you read a lot of reviews of a particular binocular, more often than not you'll find a consensus about the depth perception, with reviewers saying that one roof gives a greater perception of depth than another, which is probably associated with one or more of the factors listed above.

From my own observations, roof prism binoculars seem to be losing depth perception rather than gaining it, because increasingly more roofs are being made with fast focusers, which create the impression of shallower depth.

Brock

Last edited:
So sometimes you can peg an actual, quantifiable feature to the perception of depth, or as Frank likes to call it, "apparent depth of field." Other times, it's harder to peg down.

Apparently they are easy to confuse, but "perception of depth", as in stereopsis, and "depth of field" are completely different things. Single telescopes supply the eye with no information connected to stereopsis, but of course they they have DOF characteristics identical to the two linked single telescopes that make up a binocular. It's true that the optical depth of field in an afocal instrument like a binocular varies only with magnification, that is to say the size of the circle of confusion increases only with increased magnification, but false observations of more or less DOF are common, as we see all too well in this thread and in many binocular reviews. Brock mentioned a couple of reasons for those false impressions (focus speed and field curvature) and others have been discussed on this forum over the years.

My beef with the concept of "perceived depth of field" is that it lumps all the possible causes of false DOF impressions into a single vague notion that doesn't explain anything. It's ALWAYS possible to peg down what causes the "perceived depth of field" in a particular binocular, but it takes more effort than just looking through it and jumping to the conclusion that it has more or less "perceived depth of field" than some other.

Last edited:
I just take ordinary citizens, have them focus
and have them walk in and out until they cannot read a line of type.

In that case, "perceived depth of field" means they cannot 'perceive'
the line well enough to read it.

Simple as that. An eye test. They do not touch the focuser when walking it out.

(not in this case to be confused with "depth perception", which is more of a "feeling")

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back