• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Injured bird! please help (1 Viewer)

This bird has been near my bird feeder for 3-4 days hoping around and hiding when anyone comes near :( It's wing is unjured and sticking out and it cannot fly at all. The Wildlife Rehab told us to wait till Monday since it's the weekend. Im scared meanwhile a cat/racoon could come and hurt her :( Please help what to do till monday?

PS what type of birdie is this?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 69
Wow, they actually told you to wait until Monday?? I've worked wildlife rehab before and we took in animals every day of the week at pretty much any hour.

Anyway, I'd grab her up and keep her in a warm, dark place (box with a paper towel for bedding, and holes for her to breath of course). Give her a small dish of water and plenty of seeds. Keep her in a very quiet area as well, away from pets or children/loud noises. Birds will die quickly from stress, so you should prepare the box for her first, then snatch her up and put her in there and leave her alone until you can get her to the wildlife rehabber tomorrow. Good luck!

stonechat1 said:
Female House Sparrow, a species which is considered a pest in your country by many people.

Oh, yes. Unfortunately, that's true. Just so you know, the rehab place might have to euthanize her because she is technically an invasive species in the US. :/ Still, this might be the best decision for her since she is obviously badly injured and would not survive much longer in the wild.

I'm afraid that's right, once they learn it's a House Sparrrow the rehabbers might refuse to take it in or want to kill it. I suggest you phone and find out what the policy is before proceeding.

Last edited:
Oh my gosh thanks for letting me know that guys! The Rehab people hadn't come since the lady who cares for the birds is ill. Knowing the law doesn't protect her, I didn't give her to that Rehab and I havent removed her from the fenced area of my backyard since she is improving. (she's now safe from other animals) She now is able to walk around steadily and her health seems better. We put plenty of seeds and water for her. Should I just allow to live there as her health improves? Will the wing heal on its own with time?

Her friends even come visit her and would wake her up when she's sleeping during the day. It's really sweet. How can I remove her from her home knowing the rehab might kill her :(

PS sorry for so many typos in first post. Was really rushing.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back