• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Window Strike . . .stunned bird . . . what to do? (1 Viewer)

dawziecat

This happens from time to time. I am unsure of the best thing to do.
I hate handling the bird as it must increase their stress immeasurably.
Today a warbler was stunned after impacting a window. Rather than leave it exposed to cold (3 degrees C) and predatory birds, I placed it in a box and brought it into the warmth, placing the box in a quiet, dark location. After a time I will release it. It has worked in the past.

Is there anything better I could do?

An additional question. If it ever comes to that, is there a humane way of euthanizing a helpless bird?

Thanks . . .

Terry

Last edited:
Hi Terry what you have done is fine, though in warmer weather you could leave them outside with perhaps a colander over them.

We have some more guidelines for you about injured birds, here. I hope you find them useful.

[...] I placed it in a box and brought it into the warmth, placing the box in a quiet, dark location. After a time I will release it. It has worked in the past.
Agree, just note that you should place the box not in a warm room. The birds can´t handle big temperature differences very good. At least in my experience.

An additional question. If it ever comes to that, is there a humane way of euthanizing a helpless bird?
Thanks . . .
Terry
Sure is there a way, but before it must be prooved (by a vet) that there is no help for the bird.

Cheers,
Roman

Agree, just note that you should place the box not in a warm room. The birds can´t handle big temperature differences very good. At least in my experience.

Sure is there a way, but before it must be prooved (by a vet) that there is no help for the bird.

Cheers,
Roman

I agree with that, as I can't see the warmth doing any good (as the bird is living in sub-zero temperatures), and they usually recover pretty quickly if they're not injured.

There are a number of ways to painlessly (as far as it's possible to know) dispatch a bird, but all will be difficult the first time you attempt it. That would probably mean you'd hesitate, and risk the bird suffering. So whenever possible get the bird to a Vet before you even think about killing it. (I do realise that there may be times when you need to act to prevent further suffering, but it's difficult knowing when these times are).

(It's good to read that you care about wild birds, they often need all the help they can get from us. Although sometimes there's nothing we can do)

Thank you, Delia, Roman and Chris.

I released the bird after an hour of recovery time "in the box."
Glad to report, she seemed fine and flew off strongly.

Terry

If the bird is still alive after a window crash and not falling down to a side there is a good chance that it recovers fully ( as far as we can see at least).
Good job that you could release your bird like that.
:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back