• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hobby Thread 2013 (1 Viewer)

halftwo

Wird Batcher
Hello all you Hobby enthusiasts.

Another year is upon us and the Hobbies are back. Not my local patch pair (as far as I know) but I was very pleased to see one at Old Moor RSPB, South Yorkshire (Wath Ings as was) hunting newly arrived Swifts over the scrapes on Saturday 27th of April.

I might be moving from my local patch soon, so might not be reporting from there as usual from now on, but I'm sure JB & others will be around.

And, you never know, I might find a local pair near my new home in Holmfirth.

Good luck to all you Hobby-ers and to this year's batch of Hobbies.

H

Another year is upon us and the Hobbies are back. Not my local patch pair (as far as I know) but I was very pleased to see one at Old Moor RSPB, South Yorkshire (Wath Ings as was) hunting newly arrived Swifts over the scrapes on Saturday 27th of April.

I might be moving from my local patch soon, so might not be reporting from there as usual from now on, but I'm sure JB & others will be around.

H

Nice to hear from you and best wishes- the cold weather down here seems to have put the crows off nesting (no fresh nests in the favoured oaks this year) so we shall hopefully get to see what the Hobbies make of that

and...

greetings from the states...I have been looking forward to this year's report! And I do hope that you find Hobbies at your new home.

John

Thanks, all.

I had a brief look this morning on my way to work. No sign of the Hobbies yet, but, CB, a Wheatear, 2 Yellow wagtails, Whitethroat, Grey partridges, and the other usual suspects.

JB has just told me of a Hobby at Woolston yesterday - only five miles from patch...

H

Moving to my part of the world? I am sure we can put you on to some not too far away H

I had a Hobby heading west in the Longdendale Valley this week

Had my 1st hobby of the year today but not where I normally watch them.A female came through my suburban garden at speed.At the same time I saw my 1st swift of the year so she may of been chasing them,all this happened at 07.20am.

Steve.

I saw a couple of Hobby's at Lakenheath on 23rd April and more recently a small number at Ham Wall / Westhay on 30th April.Some Swifts also on 30th April - my first for this year. Whitethroats and Cuckoo's also seen and heard w/e 28th April.

I saw a couple of Hobby's at Lakenheath on 23rd April and more recently a small number at Ham Wall / Westhay on 30th April.Some Swifts also on 30th April - my first for this year. Whitethroats and Cuckoo's also seen and heard w/e 28th April.

You mean Hobbies & Cuckoos, right?

Sorry, but the apostrophe is really annoying.

Steve, what's your real location?

Last edited:
Bank Holiday Update

Despite the persistent breeze it was almost warm this afternoon out in the exposed fields of Hobby Land.

Still no sign of our Hobbies yet, unfortunately, they are probably hawking over Lakenheath, or somewhere similarly exotic !

There have been several Wheatear and Yellow Wagtail on surrounding ploughed fields in recent days but none were in evidence this lunchtime. Last May we had Whinchat on patch but none have appeared as yet.

There has been some progress however: I noticed the first two tiny Lapwing chicks of the year, staying close to one of it’s parents. Last year young chicks had to contend with the farmer re-ploughing the field before they were much more than a couple of weeks old, but I think their development will be uninterrupted this year ( at least by the farmer ) as the fields of winter barley are only just growing, though stunted by the lack of spring rain.

The Beginning Of The End ?

H and I had a chance conversation with a rather sad and dejected resident living in the area of our Hobby site yesterday. It transpired his home is one of many due to be knocked down to make way for the new High Speed 2 rail link in the next year or two.

I hadn’t personally realised this fact until yesterday ( because I hadn’t paid close enough attention to all the fuss ) but the new high speed rail link will cut straight through the middle of the area the Hobbies have nested in over the last few years. Presumably, when large swathes of local land become a construction site, the Hobbies will relocate to somewhere else. And that will be the end of that !!

More news on this matter to follow I’m sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back