• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hobby Thread 2013 (1 Viewer)

This morning while chatting to my neighbour, a familiar sound of Swallows alarming alerted me to a Hobby, but out of sight, where it caught a Swallow and then flew with it to the west - away from patch - so not 'my' bird!

So, mixed feelings there.

Thanks,I went out to another area yesterday with a friend & had 3 hobbies together overhead at one point.Consisting of 1 ad, & 2, 2nd summers we watched the 2 young birds for 45mins catching insects they then left & the ad bird originally with them returned & hunted.
Cheers.

Steve.B :)

Half an hour later I had two Hobbies hunting together near my house - & if they were my pair it occurred to me that the female rarely hunts while incubating - so what was going on there? Was it a pair? Two first year birds?
The mystery continues.

Later I spoke to the local farmer who said he'd thought he'd heard a Hobby at the back of his farm in the last few days.

Half an hour later I had two Hobbies hunting together near my house - & if they were my pair it occurred to me that the female rarely hunts while incubating - so what was going on there? Was it a pair? Two first year birds?
The mystery continues.

Later I spoke to the local farmer who said he'd thought he'd heard a Hobby at the back of his farm in the last few days.

Will have to come over and have a wander I think

CB

This afternoon in pleasant sunshine (for a change) JB & I spent an hour or more on site.
Hobbies, as usual, there were none.

We did, however, thanks to a flock of c.50 Lapwings getting up in response, have a Peregrine hunting not too distantly.

Falconfest

I took a walk along the Dearne Valley near Cudworth, Barnsley this afternoon and stopped to see if there might be anything in the air. There was.
In fact two Hobbies were hawking amongst the Swifts above the breeze-blown branches of the birches along the ridge.

Insects were their prey, and three Kestrels joined them - until the Hobbies decided to attack their rivals: a spectacular dog fight ensued and lasted for a minute or two.

Next a hapless Buzzard was harried by both Hobby & Kestrel, tipping its wings to avoid its tormentors. Now the Hobbies were fired up & some attempts at Swifts followed, but, despite some superb flying and stunning speed, the prey eluded them.

At least three Kestrels were in the air, and all the falcons remained across the valley, so I took a wander over that way.

Of course, by then, the Hobbies had departed, though the Kestrels continued to follow the hay-making tractor.

The sun brought out butterflies, including a Ringlet, and a Small skipper, Reed warblers sang and a Green woodpecker yaffled across the river.

Also very different to the East Lancs upland they have taken to their hearts for the 7th year running locally. That is in excess of 200 metres maybe nearly 300m above sea level.

Try again. i think it's worked this time, if you can let me know how to delete some of the earlier posts, I will.

The Hobby pair which has bred in our area arrived and I have seen one of the birds. I would like to watch them more but they have been disturbed once in the last few years so the main thing is they breed successfully. They have disrupted a Buzzard nest locally which is a bit anti-social! LOL!

Hobby thread 2013

Hi,

Here's the good news from my patch (South East Cornwall). There are plenty of pairs about. I hear them most days on my travels around the local woods. At each place I have heard them I won't return until I judge the young to be a reasonable size. As everyone knows, they are very shy birds, and it is advisable not to go anywhere near a nest while the female is on eggs.

Paul Mitchell

Things have been very quiet on the hobby front,right from spring time i`ve seen very few birds.Even the last week when I saw 3 birds together 2 were young birds(1st/2nd summers)

Steve.

An hour last evening no sighting, is this expected at this time?
There wasn't really any birds to see at all, no swallows, Swifts etc., just the occasional pigeon, oh & a family of 6 or 7 Woodpeckers.

In my neck of the woods its a time to enjoy the odd first summer on the coast and forget about the breeders until end August- some grand shots here by John Richardson http://oldmanminsmere.blogspot.co.uk (scroll to 29th June) where you can see the patchy plumage with some bluegrey feathers creeping in.

Ok...

Twelve...count 'em, twelve days, since I have heard a thing about my favorite bird that I will never see. Hope hard times have not fallen on the Half Two Hobbys.

Just a friendly post to keep the thread up and to let you folks know that there are some of us on the other side of the pond that follow the ups and downs of this beautiful little falcon through your posts.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back