• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swifts (1 Viewer)

Monahawk

It will soon be time for those sickle shaped wonders to leave our shores. Each year on this forum it seems there is usually a thread dedicated to swifts in August and September.

So I'll kick off this years end of swift season thread.

Had 4 over the house this morning with a small group of house martins and swallows.

How are your local swift sightings at this time of the year?

Si.

Mine appear to be going fast as this morning only saw one over the house in half an hour,normally hundreds,but it might have been a bad time.Will keep a watch out.Swallows and house martins still here in smaller numbers.Regards....Eddy

Down here some large groups of Common Swifts (with the odd Alpine) - look like migrants rather than breeding birds, where from is impossible to say

Saw about 5 of my local birds yesterday evening, one or two still apparently attending their nest (well one of them) in my house. A couple this morning over the reserve where I was ringing.

I think ours have left up here in Alnwick, Northumberland, as I haven't seen or heard any since Wednesday 7th August :-C

The previous few days beforehand they had been flying around in big groups and screaming their heads off which was absolutely glorious to hear :t: Perhaps getting ready to move on south?

One lonesome fella wheeling and soaring over the local town's bus station this afternoon.

I'm certain most of the local swifts have left a bit earlier this year than usual.

Si.

Just when I thought they had all gone, then I see 12 screaming around the buildings in the town centre this morning.

Si.

It will soon be time for those sickle shaped wonders to leave our shores. Each year on this forum it seems there is usually a thread dedicated to swifts in August and September.
How are your local swift sightings at this time of the year?
Si.
I actually saw one yesterday while I was counting House Martins flying above their colony.
Otherwise they are gone. It is eery to be in the main street in early morning (my trick to hear anything before it is all abuzz with human noises) and there is silence (like in movies before a monster jumps out). Black Redstart is not singing anymore, pigeons are just mumbling and I had to actually p.sh some House Sparrow chirp in order to get any sparrow make any call.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back