• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swifts (1 Viewer)

All Swifts gone here from the town in St. Gallen (Switzerland). I saw a lone one in the mountains on the weekend. However I now have the Alpine Swifts every day swooping around my office, which is quite nice. Funny, earlier (when Common Swifts were still around) the Alpines seemed always further away or higher up, certainly didn't see them daily.

Ours were still here on 7th August but had all gone by 11th (when I returned home after a few days away). I've been scanning for the past few days but haven't seen any since.

The latest I have seen them locally was 24th August (a fairly large group making South).

Edited to say: update- saw a lone swift an hour ago (none since)

Last edited:
In Holmfirth, West Yorks., on Saturday there was a group of two dozen singing birds still flying around. (Incidently I assume these are all juveniles busy pairing/courting before heading off on migration - anyone a difinitive answer on that one?)

Yesterday there was none all day until four turned up late pm to hawk around with the many House martins which are still busy feeding young in the air.

But it's the last few remaining days for these superb birds this summer, I'm afraid.

My swifts left 2wks ago here in southampton,one evening there was a cloud of swifts over the house.Next morning just one bird & nothing after midday that day.

Steve.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back