• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of the Ebro Delta (2 Viewers)

John Fordham

Hi,
Pictures taken last week - Ebro Delta, Eastern Spain. Help greatly appreciated, as usual.

I don't know about 1st or 2nd. I think

3rd may be a very yellow Greenfinch
4th may be a Serin
5th may be a Chiffchaff

Many thanks
John

Attachments

• BF1.jpg
    BF1.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 137
  • BF2.jpg
    BF2.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 144
  • BF5.jpg
    BF5.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 117
  • BF6.jpg
    BF6.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 137
  • BF7.jpg
    BF7.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 126
First two look like Fan-tailed Warblers. I think you're right on the others, although there may be room for debate on the phyllosc. If it's a Chiffchaff, what kind is it?

Definitely would go with Fan-tailed for 1. Not sure 2 is a Fan-tailed though..seems to have awfully long toes and behaving in a very un-Fan-tailed manner...isn't it a pipit?

I guess 3 could a yellowish greenfinch..while 4 is a Serin. 5 ..um I guess Chiffchaff..but difficult to say for sure and certainly not down to Iberian or Common Chiffchaff.

Sean
Hiroshima

Is it just me or is anyone else having trouble with no.4 being a Serin? Looks more like a Greenfinch on a really bad hair day.
Phil

Is it just me or is anyone else having trouble with no.4 being a Serin? Looks more like a Greenfinch on a really bad hair day.
Phil

You may have a point, although that does look like quite heavy streaking. Looking more closely, the face pattern and bill shape do seem strange for Serin.

Number 2 still looks like a Fan-tailed Warbler to me, although it's a tricky photo. I'm pretty sure it's not a pipit.

I also think that the two first birds both look like Zitting Cisticolas, although the second one is caught in an unusual situation. They do have pretty long toes for their size, and I have seen them on the ground before. Number 3 & 4 are definitely Greenfinches.

Regarding the Chiffchaff, the Common Chiffchaff is by far the most numerous in the delta. We do get the odd Iberian Chiffchaff, usually during migration, but it is very rare in the area.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back