• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x28s? (1 Viewer)

John Cantelo

Anyone using the current recent crop of 8x28s?

I had a look at a number of small 'back-up' bins this weekend and concluded that a) I found 20/25mm roofs too small & fiddly to use and b) wedge shaped porro mini-bins - despite a generally superior image - were just a bit too bulky to slip comfortably into your pocket. A pair of Viking roof 8x32s - one of the smallest of their type - were simply too big. The nicest image was from a Swarovski 8x20, but in addition to their very small size I disliked the double hinge arrangement.

What I really want is a single hinge binocular that feels like the 'real thing' but is dinky enough to be ultra portable. I came away wondering if a 28mm roof instrument would fit the bill.

John

Anyone using the current recent crop of 8x28s?

I had a look at a number of small 'back-up' bins this weekend and concluded that a) I found 20/25mm roofs too small & fiddly to use and b) wedge shaped porro mini-bins - despite a generally superior image - were just a bit too bulky to slip comfortably into your pocket. A pair of Viking roof 8x32s - one of the smallest of their type - were simply too big. The nicest image was from a Swarovski 8x20, but in addition to their very small size I disliked the double hinge arrangement.

What I really want is a single hinge binocular that feels like the 'real thing' but is dinky enough to be ultra portable. I came away wondering if a 28mm roof instrument would fit the bill.

John

John

On Ebay there are some 10x25 Smith & Wesson Bins, Some in the UK for a fixed price of 49.99 + post or the USA at whatever you want to bid. I have just got a pair from the USA and they are good bins. They are Phase Coated and close focus on mine is less than two metres. Have a look at the pictures & Specs on Ebay ( try and look at the USA ones first ) and then look at the RSPB BG.PC 10x25 Binocular and specs. I don't think you'd be disappointed!.

Alternatively:
Summit 8x26 MR, admittedly its champagne coloured, close focus is spec'ed as 5 metres and its a double hinge and fold down eyecups, but its bright 8 degree field of view and cheap enough at £22.99 + post of £3.00 from:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Summit-Co...ZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

or give them a call on 07733 230594.

Last edited:
John have you tried the Opticron Travelers? although they may be too big.
Good point, pduxon. I had a pair of these for a short while. They're remarkable in that they're 8x32, but tiny...not as small as high-end 8x20's, obviously, but they are still definitely compact bins. They'd fit comfortably in most pockets, and give an image typical of the higher-quality Opticron range. The focussing wheel is at the "far" end, i.e. you use your 3rd or 4th finger. And they're well-priced.

What I really want is a single hinge binocular that feels like the 'real thing' but is dinky enough to be ultra portable.

Zeiss 8x20 Victory is single hinge. Leica 8x20 Ultravid is double, but the hinges have positive stops so you can open one side (I recommend the right side if you are right handed) all the way to its stop and do all the adjustment of IPD with the other side. Both of these fit securely in the hand, even while focusing (unlike, in my experience, the Swarovski 8x20).

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back