• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

pincushion in Zeiss victory FL 10x32 (1 Viewer)

gwsudiro

Indonesia
hello....greetings all... ^_^

I've looked through an FL 10x32 and noticed there is pincushion...large enough to be distracting, especially when panning (maybe it's not large, just a little over the necessary amount to correct the globe effect...)

anyone has the same experience? is it the natural of FL 10x32? or any 10x32?

any thought will ve appreciated..
for your kind help, many thanks before...

best regards

Galih

The 10x32 is a bit of an oddball [in all brands]. Most of them do not offer much wider a field than the corresponding 10x42.
http://www.eagleoptics.com/?query=10x32

But if you get 360ft fov instead of 315, some people are happy. Mostly, the 32mm are lighter than 10x42, but not so much at the hight end models.

Last edited:
yow! Tero! ^_^ we meet again! hehehe....

yes Tero, still wondering about my 10x32, it's Zeiss, shouldn't be like that...again, I hope the problem is just with my eyes....

anyone? any comment?

best regards

Galih

I have owned only one Zeiss, it was a 10x40 Conquest. I tried for a year to adjust to it, but in the end I preferred Nikon Monarchs to it. If the binocular does not work, it does not work for you. Most of us buy from mail order stores that allow 2 weeks or 30 days to return.

yes Tero, I can send the Zeiss back to, while waiting for their answer about replacement, I'm searching answer here from our friends...^_^

best regards

Galih

My model was built solid, but uncomfortable. In the optics, there was something that bothered me. They were sharp enough but not sure what it was, I just did not like the view. They use a different prism system.

yeah, maybe my 10x32 doesn't suit me, but I like it's free-CA image,the size, the feel in hand....such a dilemma...T_T

Galih,
I have not seen the 8x32, but the 8x42 FL has a noticeable amount of pincushion. This is not a flaw, but a design choice. The pincushion minimizes another disturbing effect called "rolling globe" or "rolling ball" effect, but, of course, not everybody agrees with Zeiss's implementation. If you search you can find some of those discussions.

I'd guess all the Zeiss FLs have pincushion to a similar degree, as do all Leicas, and all Swarovskys except the new Swarovision.
Ron

hello Ron, ^_^

mine is 10x32 FL, have you ever seen distracting pincushion in it??

so, it's not flaw, but with ''old'' Swaro EL 10x42, I never noticed any...so, maybe this FL 10x32 a little overcorrected, at least to my eyes...isn't it?

best regards

Galih

Galih,
There all kinds of things you can do with a binocular to reveal "flaws" in the optics that are either not noticeable in normal use, or, like pincushion, actually there for a reason.

If I look at a telephone pole which spans the entire field, from top to bottom, I see it start bend a little, inward at the middle, as soon as I move it away from center, and the bending gets worse as it gets closer to the edge, in my 8x42 FL. I only notice the effect on something like that, however, never in "normal" use. I have not used either the Swaro that you mention, nor the 8x32 FL.

On the other hand, I often follow a flying bird with my binocular. Then, I don't notice any of the "rolling ball" effect that the pincushion is supposed to reduce. So it works for me. I only look at a telephone pole if there's a woodpecker on it.

If you don't like pincushion, I respect that. But most binoculars have it, more or less. The Swarovision and the Nikon EDG, and its immediate predecessors, are the only popular top quality birding-style binos I know of that are essentially free of pincushion, and of course they exhibit "rolling globe".
Ron

Last edited:
hello Ron... ^_^

it's good to hear that, so, my bins afterall is ''ok''....^_^
only me that don't get used to it...

thank you Ron, for the clarification...^^

best regards

Galih

I have the Zeiss 10x32 and for birding use, even panning, etc., they are fine. My only complaint are the diopter and very short effective ER. What really gets me is the rolling ball of my Nikon 8x32's when in a panning situation. For forest birding it isn't really noticeable. I think we can all find situations that bring out the design quirks (or flaws) of whatever glass we use. CA is the biggest obstacle for me, and with the Zeiss it is a non- issue.

hi Jacquot... ^_^

is there any possibilities that maybe you're more sensitive to globe and me sensitive to pincushion?

maybe if I use a binocular with globe effect, I never see it at all...

best regards

Galih

hi Jacquot... ^_^

is there any possibilities that maybe you're more sensitive to globe and me sensitive to pincushion?

maybe if I use a binocular with globe effect, I never see it at all...

best regards

Galih

Yes, that's what Holger Merlititz believes (and has pointed out in his papers and in comments on threads here).

Particularly see the thread on the Swarovision FAQ where this effect is discussed.

That must be the case as I can see moderate pincushion in my new svarovision 8.5s, but have no problems with rolling globe.
Ben.

That must be the case as I can see moderate pincushion in my new svarovision 8.5s, but have no problems with rolling globe.
Ben.

hi Ben... ^_^

maybe both of us belong to ''pincushion-sensitive guys''....khekhekhekhe..!! ^_^

Ben, do you had a chance to try another sample of Swarovision?

best regards

Galih

I see pincushion but it does not really bother me.
I have a Leica 8x32 BA which has more pincushion and it is no problem and I still really like the little Leica. The original EL has more pincushion than the new swarovision ELs.
Ben.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back