• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Midwest Bird Identification (1 Viewer)

Biscuits

Hello everyone!

I'm new to this forum and was hoping someone can help me identify a bird typical to the Midwestern part of the USA.

I have yet to see what this bird looks like, yet I've heard this bird all my life.
As a kid, my mom used to call it a "T-bird" or "P-bird" and it's call or song sounds as if it is calling out it's own name. It sings out just a slow 2-note whistle or call where the second note seems to be an octave lower than the first.

I occasionally hear this bird in the city, but seems to be more apparent out in the country.

Does anyone have a clue as to what this bird might be?
I've searched the internet with no luck.

Thank you for your help

Thanks everyone for the replies

I checked out the sound clip of the Eastern Phoebe.
It appears that the Eastern Phoebe's call is much faster or shorter in duration and a little raspier than what I've been hearing. Unless it sings multiple versions of it's call.

I'm thinking about 3 seconds for the 2 note call I'm hearing

I'm sure it's not a Cardinal.

I hear this bird during the daylight hours

Thanks "power2thepeaceful17" I think we have a winner

The Black-capped Chickadee's call is a lower and slower chick-a-dee-dee-dee, which functions as a contact call, one that serves to keep the winter flock together when birds cannot see one another.

I believe I found my answer in a sound clip of the following:

The song is a clear fee-bee, with a loud version given during territory skirmishes and a soft version given during mate feeding.

Thanks "power2thepeaceful17" I think we have a winner

The Black-capped Chickadee's call is a lower and slower chick-a-dee-dee-dee, which functions as a contact call, one that serves to keep the winter flock together when birds cannot see one another.

I believe I found my answer in a sound clip of the following:

The song is a clear fee-bee, with a loud version given during territory skirmishes and a soft version given during mate feeding.

Nice - yeah, BCCH song, not call. As I said in another thread I find a good way of differentiating the BCCH mnemonic device from an actual "fee-BEE" (Eastern Phoebe) is pretending the BCCHs are saying CHEEEEESE-bur-ger (if you listen closely the second note is split into two).

Nice - yeah, BCCH song, not call. As I said in another thread I find a good way of differentiating the BCCH mnemonic device from an actual "fee-BEE" (Eastern Phoebe) is pretending the BCCHs are saying CHEEEEESE-bur-ger (if you listen closely the second note is split into two).

Wait a minute. I use "chee-bur-ger, chee-bur-ger, chee-bur-ger" for Carolina wren (Think Belushi on Saturday Night Live)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back