• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is someone trying to hack my computer? (1 Viewer)

Stranger

I run my Bank`s security system for online banking and it gives me a report of activities each week.
Recently it has been reporting attempts to change functions on my computer and warns that this could be someone trying to remotely access my computer, it also states that this could be a legitimate function.
It says that I need do nothing as the security system has blocked the attempts.
The total attempt in the first week was 98, the next two weeks reported 68 attempts each.
Should I be worried and contact my bank or let the system carry on blocking them?

Does it say what is trying to be changed? If it is a program on your computer then it will just carry on trying. What is the software the bank uses?

The total attempt in the first week was 98, the next two weeks reported 68 attempts each.
Should I be worried and contact my bank or let the system carry on blocking them?

I know nothing whatsoever about hacking, but I would imagine no harm can come from contacting the bank and asking their advice. I have some dealings with persons working in banking security and if there is any sort of widespread attempt to access clients' accounts, they will probably be aware.

The first thing to remember is that most security software uses scare tactics to 'prove' their software is effective.

The name of the security software would be helpful (Rapport perhaps?) as would some clearer indication of what it was flagging. The best contact would be the security company's engineers but you'll need to get past the gate guardians - don't take their word for anything blindly - escalate it until you get clarification that you can verify yourself.

Thanks for the replies.
The system is Rapport.
It doesn't go into detail only stating that attempts are being made to change functions.
I did wonder if it was the product scaremongering.
I will contact the Bank anyway.

Ah! Rapport. My bank uses that, but it fought with the security system I had on my last computer so I uninstalled it.

I've not reinstalled it on my new laptop.

If you've got two systems running, they'll likely fight with each other.

Sorry, Andy may know better what I'm trying to say!

Well, I've seen many incompatibilities and strangeness with Rapport, although recently they do seem to have been very proactive in working with their clients to ensure problems are ironed out quickly. I would recommend their support site over your bank as the first point of contact.

http://www.trusteer.com/support/ a few snippets from their support landing page:
We are glad to announce we are now supporting Internet Explorer 10 for both Windows 7 and 8, Google Chrome 26 for Windows and Firefox 20 for Mac and Windows!
If you have encountered any problems when using Rapport with Internet Explorer, please click here to update Rapport in Windows and here to update Rapport in Mac. Please be sure to restart your computer after installing the new version.
If you still encounter problem using Rapport after updating, please contact us.

Are there any known conflicts between Trusteer Endpoint Protection and other security products?

There are known issues with the following products:

Avira
Trend Micro Internet Security
PrevX SafeOnLine
Comodo Internet Security or Firewall with Defense+ prior to version 3.13, when used with Firefox
iAntiVirus on Mac OS X
CA Internet Security Suite 2009 when used with Internet Explorer
PC-Tools ThreatFire + Comodo
EMET (Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit)
Driver Verifier

We're working with these vendors to resolve the issues. Until then you can either stop Trusteer Endpoint Protection or stop the conflicting tool.

The following free antivirus solution works well with Trusteer Endpoint Protection:http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials
Compatible security software list here: http://www.trusteer.com/support/compatibility-other-security-software

Andrew and Delia
Many thanks.
I will try the update and see if that solves the problem.
I don`t think I have any of the other products on my machine

I used Rapport for a while, it hogged memory and slowed the computer right down. It ran all the time rather than just when it was needed ie when logging in to banking so I dumped it.
Viruses are a problem for sure, but I think there is a lot of scaremongering to get you to buy all the latest security software.

I ran an old PC online for ages with nothing on it all just to see what would happen....I then checked it for viruses months later and lo and behold....nothing at all. Likewise, I've had AVG on this Laptop for years, and it's only picked up one minor "alert" as far back as I can remember.

Last edited:
I used Rapport for a while, it hogged memory and slowed the computer right down. It ran all the time rather than just when it was needed ie when logging in to banking so I dumped it.
Viruses are a problem for sure, but I think there is a lot of scaremongering to get you to buy all the latest security software.

I ran an old PC online for ages with nothing on it all just to see what would happen....I then checked it for viruses months later and lo and behold....nothing at all. Likewise, I've had AVG on this Laptop for years, and it's only picked up one minor "alert" as far back as I can remember.

All I can say is, you have been very lucky.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back